Being patient paid off!!

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
After a long wait and watchful eye I found a new to me Winchester Model 70 classic sporter LT in a 270 win! It's a New Haven made gun, got a screaming great deal! The more I look it over, I thinks it's never been fired (y) bluing is awesome, wood is great, a couple small dings by the butt pad. Excited to get it scoped up and clean the bore and give her a run, it's needs some trigger work, but super excited, I think you model 70 lovers will appreciate it! Be the way how do you find the manufacture dates on a Winchester? I see the older ones you can find info but can find nothing on this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 759
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 759
Congratulations on finding a great deal. I'll be watching with interest to see how this bad boy performs for you.

What year was my Model 70 manufactured?
This information below gives a fairly accurate picture of year of manufacture for Model 70s until recent years (1992). The information below was taken from rough documents that were typed up a number of years ago and do not yet exist digitally. To obtain date of manufacture on a Model 70 made after 1992 please contact the Winchester Customer Service Department at 800-333-3288. In the event of alteration or the serial number being expunged, the BATF needs to be advised. DO NOT ship the firearm as this is a federal offense.

For a complete listing of manufacturing dates according to serial number for many other historic Winchesters of the past click this link.

I love those Classics a lot and yours looks excellent.

I'd have to look at some of my books to see the serials. Is it a G number with 5 or 6 digits?

I bet it'll shoot. Thinking the trigger can be tweaked very easily. All of mine seem to come out right around 2.75lbs.

Scotty, it starts with a G and has 6 numbers, I'm pumped up about it, and for under $600 bucks, well that's even better!!

You stole it for under 600. I'd do that all day long for a classic in that condition.

Just got off the Phone Winchester, It's a classic sporter III, manufacture date 1999, that's awesome to know, even better to see its that old and MINT condition :grin: thanks all

Now all you need is a nice 2.5-8X36 Leupold to go on it and you'll be set.
I think there's one here for sale rather reasonable.

Nice find, congratulations.
As mentioned, load it up with a 130 gr PT and H4831 or RL22 and never look back.

JD338

130 NPT and 55g of R17 here...or the same amount of H4350.

3050fps, mild and accurate.

Nice rifle and good bargain.

Back