Best reloading manual(s)

DaveA37

Beginner
Jan 2, 2010
This will probably stir up a bit of disagreement but I have been pondering, "who puts out the BEST reloading manual?"

Some reloading manuals are quite comprehensive while others just touch the surface. (Don't care to name those "marginal" manuals but there definitely IS a difference).

Your answers to this inquiry might even help a reloading "newbe" make an informed decision as he/she begins their new journey into reloading.

PS...Forgot to mention that I too use the Nosler (Just got the latest version) and Speer manuals.

Hey, this is a Nosler site. I've got to go with Nosler! :grin:

Have also found the Sierra manual very useful over the years. One of the nice things about the Sierra & Nosler manuals is that they actually have very good instruction pages on how to set up and handload. Good stuff that more handloaders should read.

Every couple of years though I buy the latest manual from Hodgdon. It's a paperback, looks like a magazine. Thousands of loads inside, for many, many different cartridges. Two things I really like about the Hodgdon manual:

1. It includes IMR, Winchester & Hodgdon powders now.

2. It shows the pressure data! This used to be quite rare in manuals.

So - I'd get one of the big manuals, like Nosler or Sierra, and also the inexpensive Hodgdon manual. Although you can get pretty much all the Hodgdon data for free on their internet site as well.

Regards, Guy

Each has strengths; and each has deficits when compared to others. The field of ballistics is so vast that it is virtually impossible for one manual to encompass the entire field. I do enjoy and use the Nosler Reloading Guide extensively, and I also frequently refer to the Speer Manual frequently. I also have on my shelf (in addition to QuickLoad on my computer) Lyman, Lee, Hodgdon, Ramshot, Alliant, Hornady, Barnes, VihtaVuori, Swift, Sierra and a host of other smaller guides and manuals. All are consulted at various points and each contributes to the knowledge base.

For my .243 I like Lee, coz it's more Diverse. And lists hotter loads.

As far as big game... any load book.

new journey into reloading???? Sierra... they are very thourough.

Over the years I have found the Nosler manuals pretty much dead on with their "Most Accurate Load" recommendations. I just wish they tried a few more powders. It is still my first look when developing a new load.

My second favorite and "go to" manual is the Sierra. I like their addition of loads specifically tested for the AR-15 platform in the latest addition. There data seems to be more accurate in the real world and less "lawyer like" that others.

I am using a lot of Ramshot powders these days and use their guide as well. It is very accurate too.

Bob

I have everything from a PO Ackley, to a Swift and each has its own strengths. My Ackley is great because I can look at what the gund guys were expeirmenting with 60 years ago. The early Seirra and Speer also have great long range tables for a variety of bullets. My go to manual is the Hodgons. I have 5 or six Noslers and like both the Nosler and Hodgons web sites for quick references. Nuff I got to PT :grin:

All of them you can get your hands on will offer you something or other. If your gonna get serious about reloading, you will eventually have a collection of most of em anyways.

my use: Most - Nosler/Sierra/Hodgdon. Least - Lee/Lyman. Most interesting: A-Square..

Sure do miss a Hodgdon hard cover copy...

Rod

I started with a Speer and have a three of them. I like them, they usually show a bunch of powders and a good variety of bullet weights. I like the Nosler #6 quite alot also, and use the Hodgdon online for ALOT of data. Same with Alliant, even though the Speer manual pretty much has the same data. Scotty

Quickload though not a manual

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have virtually all of the current major manufacturer's manuals. It's great to be able to cross reference them against one another. That being said, I think the Sierra Manual is the most comprehensive with a ton of good information. It's a little big, but I love the fact that it's in a three ring binder. It allows you to update it continually, as new calibers/bullets come out, without having to purchase an entirely new manual.

I typically use the most current Nosler manual and the online and printed Hodgdon manuals. Sometimes I'll go look at Alliant's online load data as well.

Truth be told I like Nosler #4 better then # 6. I like to be able to glance at a table for my energy and look at the caliber selection for by velocity and bullet drop. More lab comments in #4 also. Guess I am lazy. I have a speer 11 and Hornady # 4 also. Can not have too many reloading manuals.

Other than Q/L I prefer manuals that pertain to a specific bullet. Not crazy about "generic nmanuals".

Nosler Reloading Manuals, no doubt.
I`m not saying this because this is the Nosler Forum. It`s quite the other way around, I`m here on the forum because Nosler bullets and Reloading Manuals are that good !
Have never had any trouble with reloadings based on them. Sometimes I`ve exchanged Nosler Bullets for other brands, using the same data. And it has worked out fine. The Nosler Reloding Datas are based on test firing reloaded cartridges, therefore You can trust them.
In comparison I have some Norwegian reloading books, witch are not based on test firing. Load datas are just calculated in a data program. Some of them are good, some of them create pressures way beyond safe even from starting loads.

Have used some reloading datas from Lapua witch have worked out fine. Got a Barnes Reloading manual, but has never come as far as to try it out.

I agree with DrMike. All the manuals are great cross-reference material. I must say that I like the format of the Swift manual in that it lists the trajectory and down range velocities and energies of each load. It points out some surprising information at times. But if I could only have one manual it would be Nosler's.

Greg Nolan wrote....

it lists the trajectory and down range velocities and energies of each load.

Too bad each rifle is different, otherwise the trajectory would be true.

I use the Nosler #6 for most things. I also have a Barns book. Quick Load gets used every now and then as well :wink:. I also use the web a good bit. This forum here has a ton of really smart guys on it that are more than willing to help a guy out with load data.

Back