big woods load for my new BLR

Aug 2, 2005
OK gents, I am starting the dies up to rock n roll again!

Next project... Browning BLR in 7mm08... topped with a 2.5X8 VariX lll

this rifle for mixed hardwood/conifer thickets and cedar swamp edges....Black Bear/Deer
I have some 160 Accubonds, 150 PTs, and 150 Accubonds on hand... and RE 15, RE 19, IMR 4350
H 4350, in powder. I am open for suggestions. Right now I am leaning toward the 160s. Of course my rifle will have the "last" word. :lol:

Of the bullets you list, I'd lean most heavily toward the 150 grain PT. Powder choice will likely lead you to RL15 of those you list.

RL17 would be and in my opinion better with the 140, 150 or 160gr bullets.

Tom,

I agree with Mike, go with the 150 gr PT.
It is over looked and under rated but it will be a great work horse bullet for deer, bear and a lot more.

JD338

Just found 3 boxes of 160 PTs...

I had a 700 CDL in 7mm08 that shot 160 PTs into 0.50", but that had a 24" bbl...

I will load some of each 150 and 160 PTs :wink: and do a range test...

With 160's in my Nosler M48 W760 out performed all the rest in accuracy and velocity. Might be something to consider.

With compressed loads of RL 22 that 160 AB will do about 2650 fps. Not too bad.
Either way any of the aforementioned bullets will do great for what you're needing.

bullet":1mty3mba said:
With 160's in my Nosler M48 W760 out performed all the rest in accuracy and velocity. Might be something to consider.

Either 760 or H414 would be a great choice for the 150-160 grain bullets in this caliber. I use Varget and R15 for the lighter bullets, but the slower burn of 760/414 should give better ballistics for the heavier ones. I use H414 for the 150 grain bullets I shoot with great accuracy. With where you are hunting with the 7mm-08, the 150 PT will be just about perfect. The 160 grain bullets are not ideal for this small of a 7mm case IMO. With the barrel length on a BLR you will still have unburnt powder with the slower powders like R22.

DrMike":3kdvjbcw said:
Of the bullets you list, I'd lean most heavily toward the 150 grain PT. Powder choice will likely lead you to RL15 of those you list.

I agree on the 150 gr. PT, it would be my first choice, but will also suggest H4350. I just prefer the higher load density over the RL-15 and Varget speeds. I haven't used IMR 3450, so I can't say if there is any difference in performance.
Also, don't limit yourself to powders on hand, if you don't find the results you are looking for.

Of the bullets you have on hand I would use the 150gr PT as the BLR mag length limits you to ~2.750" OAL.

We have had great success using the Hornady 139gr Interlocks SPs, not the SSTs, and Varget. This load somehow turns Whitetails into brown, furry lumps faster than anything I've ever seen. With the 154gr Interlocks, IMR-4064 and IMR-4350 have done real well.

That sounds like a thumper. I am with Jim or Mike, that 150 PT would be pretty cool in the 7-08. I use RL19 with the 140's and 160's in my son's 7mm Mauser. Not super fast with 140's, but it is very nice with the 160's... Good luck, show us some targets when you can.

I've taken a lot of deer with the Speer 160 mag tip from my 280 rem. If you can still find some old stock of these that would be my pick. Great penetration on tough angles, good expansion on double lung hits. Nothing wrong with the conventional 160 speer Hot cor or 154 Hornady interlock either. These are all relatively short bullets for their weight and work well with shorter mags like your 7-08 or my K98 action.

I'm currently loading the 160 Nosler PT for my woods load but haven't had a thorough test on deer yet. The 150 PT should be a good option also.

If you really want to go old school, the Hornady 175 Rn or Norma 156gr Oryx will open on good shots and drive through on bad ones no matter what.

None of the above bullets will lend themselves to bang-flop kills but will tend to leave a good exit on tough quartering shots leaving you a good blood trail.

Back