Opinions on a new "Deer" rifle

JD338":2kmmecui said:
Tom,

The Marlin 1895 45-70 loaded to trap door pressure levels are fairly mild with recoil but they are deadly on WT deer.
This buck was from last year, hunting the head waters of the Cut River in the eastern end of the UP.
DeerSeason2011006.jpg

Remington offered a M700 Mountian Rifle in 257 Roberts back around 1990. If you could find one of these, it would be a great score.
The 257 Roberts loaded up with a 115 gr PT is light on recoil but would be more than enough for a big UP swamp buck of even a big black bear.
Other chamberings to consider are the 243 Win, 6mm Rem, 25-06 Rem, 260 Rem, and 6.5x55 Sweed. Any of these loaded with an AB or PT would work well in the UP.

JD338

+1 on the 45/70 idea Jim. But I am a sucker for hunks and the 45/70 lever fits that bill LOL

Africa Huntress":3te1vods said:
JD338":3te1vods said:
Tom,

The Marlin 1895 45-70 loaded to trap door pressure levels are fairly mild with recoil but they are deadly on WT deer.
This buck was from last year, hunting the head waters of the Cut River in the eastern end of the UP.
DeerSeason2011006.jpg

Remington offered a M700 Mountian Rifle in 257 Roberts back around 1990. If you could find one of these, it would be a great score.
The 257 Roberts loaded up with a 115 gr PT is light on recoil but would be more than enough for a big UP swamp buck of even a big black bear.
Other chamberings to consider are the 243 Win, 6mm Rem, 25-06 Rem, 260 Rem, and 6.5x55 Sweed. Any of these loaded with an AB or PT would work well in the UP.

JD338
Aleena,

I couldn't agree more. :grin:

JD338

+1 on the 45/70 idea Jim. But I am a sucker for hunks and the 45/70 lever fits that bill LOL

How about the Savage 16 Trophy Hunter XP package. It is available in 308 and comes with a Nikon scope with the BDC reticle. Suggested retail for the package is $795, but they are selling for less than that at gun shops in my area.

Good Luck

Northwoods Hunter":313r01x4 said:
I'm really liking Mike's .308... Methinks we may make a deal :wink:

That would be a super little rifle for your area. Light and short. Hard to beat the smaller rifles in the big woods.

The Ruger 1-A "Light Sporter" in .270 or .30-06 is listed at 7 pounds, with a 22" barrel. They handle real nice and typically shoot well. The Number One with a 22" barrel is shorter than a bolt action rifle with a 20" barrel...

At around $1500, Forbes is now offering a production version of his famous NULA rifle. With a 24" barrel, the new version comes in at, get this, 5 lbs, 4 ounces, and is reported to be easily sub MOA accurate in the .30-06.

Link to American Rifleman article: http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... 4b-review/

Food for thought.

Guy

As an admitted Winchester convert (recently converted from Remington)...I will say a M70 FWT in whatever caliber you choose would do nicely.

No 2 ways about it...FN is making some very good (great) Winchesters. My son and I bought two M70's last year (both 30-06) and both are accurate, reliable, properly built, and just downright....great! (IMO)

A nice short fairly lightweight rifle I like a lot is the Ruger M77 RSI. Neat Mannlicher style stock with 18.5" barrel and shoots accurately enough for deer to at least 250 yards. That's the farthest I've had to shoot at a deer with mine. My wife liked mine so much I had to buy her one and when number three showed up at a decent price I bought it as well. They've been lucky rifles for us when we're lucky enough to draw tags for the Kaibab. We've draw 6 times in the 34 years we've lived here in Arizona and the two times we used something else we ate tag soup. On the years we took the RSI's we tagged out. They just have to be lucky rifles. :lol: We drew this year so I'll be taking something else to try the first couple of days. However my RSI will be there as back up and if taless the first couple of days, it will be the one I carry the rest of the season.
My guess is they weigh about 7.5 pounds with sling, scope and a full magazine.
Paul B.

Back