Binocs

RiverRider

Handloader
Dec 9, 2008
I'm thinking about acquiring some beter binoculars. I'm inclined toward a 10x42 and either the Leupold McKinley or a Nikon Monarch 7. If money wasn't tight I'd probably go with Swarovski but that's not in the cards.

So...anyone have experience with either or both of these? Maybe another suggestion? I think my spending limit will be about $600.

Yes, I'm a veteran. I have certain reservations about Vortex, though.

Look at Minox.
If I can't have Zeiss or Swarovski I'll have Minox.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

RiverRider
I own the luepold and love them. One of my BIL owns an expensive pair of Swarovski. Sure there is a little difference, but not like you would expect. I'm an Oregonian so I am biased, but for the money I believe you would be satisfied.

The reviews on the McKinley HDs seem to confirm that.

If the Vortex deal for vets is really outstanding I may take a closer look, though. I'll check out Minox too.

I love Leupold! I have quite a few gold ring scopes, gold ring binos and a gold ring spotting scope. They are all awesome....but if I was spending $600 on binos I would buy the Vortex Viper HD. They are less than $600 and are amazing. I was leary on Vortex at first too, but not anymore. I have heard stories of their customer service which would make you want to drop everything else and only own Vortex. I own a Vortex rangefinder and it is great. They are worth a look at least. If I was buying another pair, they are what I would buy.

Don't forget the Cameraland deals on Meopta Meostars. I haven't ever heard someone not compare them to Swaros. Zeiss Conquest HDs are in that same range as well.

Good luck and please let us know what you get.

I have a set of razor HD 10x42 . after I bought them I borrowed my friends swaro EL 10x42 . I side by side tested them for about a week , in my field , under different light conditions . to my eyes the razors didn't give up anything , during bright light or twilight . I bought these during a vortex blowout sale from cameraland , and I'm very pleased with them .

Yeah- I've got the Vortex HD 10x42s.... side by side, I can't see the $2200 difference between them and a pair of Swaro ELs.

They're easily my favorite binocular these days since the Golden Rings are no longer made.

I have owned many different binoc's over the past 50 years: Pentax, Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold, Steiner, Zeiss and Leica. Plus, a few other cheap ones that do not exist anymore.

Leupold moved most of their green ring binoc's to China and I sold my Czech made Leupolds because the model that I had became Chinese. The only good cheap pair that I had was a pair of 12x50 Pentax (Japan).

Presently, I have a pair of Leica 8x20's Trinovid's that I have had for awhile, as pocket binoculars. I also have a pair of Zeiss 10x40 Classic binoculars which I bought about 10 years ago on sale, marked down from $1200. Both are great glass and very good binoculars. If I was to buy another pair of hunting binoculars, they would be Kahles, 10x42 for $995. Kahles is equivalent to Leica and nearly Zeiss for less money. For cheaper glass, I would consider Minox but Kahles' costs are not bad and are they are better glass.

I picked up a pair of vortex binos last summer. I have o complaints. I got the viper HD 10x42. After destroying a couple pair of burris and nikons the vortex warranty was a big selling point.

I bought the Meopta MeoPro 10x42 HD binoculars as a demo sample a couple of years ago. We have compared them to my Dad's Swaro EL's and my hunting buddy's Zeiss Victorys. Our analysis was the the Meoptas were better than the Zeiss for clarity, and nearly as nice as the Swaros. Having checked them out at the SHOT Show, I would put the Meoptas above the Vortexes as well.

Cabelas sells these as their Instinct Euro HD binoculars. They used to be labeled without the "Instinct", just Euro HD. On occasion they will run them at very good prices, and it will get close to your price point. Or, you can watch the CameralandNY demo list to see when then have the Meoptas available on discount.

Dr. Vette":3u4896fa said:
I bought the Meopta MeoPro 10x42 HD binoculars as a demo sample a couple of years ago. We have compared them to my Dad's Swaro EL's and my hunting buddy's Zeiss Victorys. Our analysis was the the Meoptas were better than the Zeiss for clarity, and nearly as nice as the Swaros. Having checked them out at the SHOT Show, I would put the Meoptas above the Vortexes as well.

Cabelas sells these as their Instinct Euro HD binoculars. They used to be labeled without the "Instinct", just Euro HD. On occasion they will run them at very good prices, and it will get close to your price point. Or, you can watch the CameralandNY demo list to see when then have the Meoptas available on discount.

Agree 100%. I've had the Meopta HD side by side on a tripod with my SLC HD's, both in 10x42. Meopta's more than hold their own so I kept them. They are rock solidly built as well. The best sleeper glass, very hard to find, IMO, is the Gold Ring HD.

Back