Bolt action slug rifle

snoodcrusher

Beginner
May 8, 2015
d3b4477948af08ab2428f5b91e8b52d8.jpg

Here's my Savage 220 F 20 ga. slug gun/ rifle. This gun evolved into what you see in the picture. It came with a plastic black stock that was horrible. It was so weak and flexible that I couldn't even epoxy/ bed the recoil lug without it blowing out after a few shots. The best groups that I could achieve were 3-4" at 100 yds. I had however narrowed my slugs of choice to Remington 3" Accu tips and Federal Premium 3" sabots. The gun was topped with Leupold 3x9 x40 shotgun/ ML scope with the ballistic plex reticle. DNZ one piece rings/bases were used to mount the optic to the receiver.
I was ready to give up on the rig until I decided to order a laminate stock from Boyd's Stocks. I chose the grey pepper in the Prairie Hunter style. It required minimal inletting, mainly around the rear tang area, the well know culprit with Savage rifles. I glass bedded the recoil lug and torqued the action screws to 45in/lbs. I was now ready to test the work I'd done.
49f6686e4d122cf575b0f92de7d5ca8a.jpg

8680d3b8ebb5384d3e5ee4a0fc0c3d89.jpg

It took a few rounds to get on target. I let the barrel cool and fired a 5 shot group with the Federal sabots. The group wasn't bad but I wanted better. I cleaned the barrel and then tried the Remington Accutips at the top of the target. The group was a perfect clover leaf pattern that actually made just one hole. I was ecstatic! I was sure glad that I didn't give up on the slug rifle project! The Boyd's laminate stock that I was able to bed properly made all the difference. It helped with accuracy and looks which are priorities #1 and #2 for any of my weapons.
eb98b22d6bf27aea0faa83cd27061caf.jpg

The Savage proved itself on this buck last season. Not a giant but the first buck that I had killed with a firearm since my heart attack that about killed me 10 months before. I am thankful for another chance at life and the opportunity to hunt and enjoy shooting of all types.
God bless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: ETC.......

AS one who has worked for years to wring some accuracy out of a slug gun, I applaud your efforts. Now I just HATE guys like you :lol: :lol: (kidding). DAng that is a better group than my centerfire will turn in most days.

At $3.00+ a shot its nice to see those Rem slugs work.

Did you find that point of impact changed from bench to off hand?

I have a Boyds stock on my Savage 22 Mag. Best upgrade I ever made short of a Leupold scope.

First I thought you were looking to sell.....I expect not :shock: :grin: . Very nice. CL

No, the POI doesn't change from bench to shooting sticks I hunt with. I seldom shoot offhand unless very close shots. I like some type of rest. I found that POI often changes if a guy uses a Lead Sled from the bench. The lack of true recoil due to the Lead Sled seems to differ from actual recoil against your shoulder when shooting without the sled. I only use my Lead Sled now as a make shift gun vise for cleaning or scope mounting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not only looks great, but it shoots great as well. You do yourself proud with that shotgun. (y)

Very nice. You have a 200 yard deer gun.
Glad you are back at it.

JD338

Wow! I had the same slug gun for awhile and it shot decent at around 2" at 100 with the PT Golds. Took a couple of deer with it but my son wanted a 12 gauge. That sorta slug gun makes a few rifles look silly!

Great buck and I'm glad your okay and back at it. If I hunted a true slug area again, I'd give the Savage another shot.

Great job of hanging in there and getting the most out of your slug rifle. That is a very nice Buck also.
I have a Browning BPS that has the 3" rifled choke tube that I bought quite awhile ago and Browning said to expect 1" groups at 100yds with it and after a lot of slugs down range I found one that would do that and more.
A lot of people underestimate what a good slug gun can do because they relate to the old rifled slug in a smooth barrel but with Sabots and rifling you can really make one sing.

Great shotgun rifle! I have a strong suspicion that my wife will make me leave the USAF and settle down in Iowa in the next 6 to 10 years, and I'll look into a Savage just like yours. I understand most areas in Iowa are shotgun or muzzleloader only...

Not that I'll get rid of center fires. I still want to hunt elk and moose out west!

joelkdouglas":1bf3esd7 said:
Great shotgun rifle! I have a strong suspicion that my wife will make me leave the USAF and settle down in Iowa in the next 6 to 10 years, and I'll look into a Savage just like yours. I understand most areas in Iowa are shotgun or muzzleloader only...

Not that I'll get rid of center fires. I still want to hunt elk and moose out west!

For sure you will want to make the trek out west to hunt elk and moose. Heck, you may even want to journey up to the Great White North! (y)

Back