Boomerang rifle

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I was going thru the mewe classified pages local here to Alaska the other day and stumbled across an interesting rifle. It was a Winchester 94 in 30-30 with Lyman peep. The price was right, and I have always had a soft spot for the 30-30.

When I messaged the guy it brought up a series of PMs. That I had apparently had two years ago about the same rifle. Where he had bought it from me! I had totally forgotten about it. No wonder I liked the look of it so much! So I bought it back for $50 less than I had sold it to him.

This isn’t the first time I had sold a rifle and then later bought it back. It might seem I buy and sell guns to often. Well at least the selling part.

Still in the case I sold it to him in with the box of shells I had thrown in. He had never gotten around to shooting it.

A nice 70s Winchester 94, not a collector but an honest shooter with some cosmetic “character” but fully functional with a light, albeit floppy, trigger, a bright clean bore, and good 2.5-3” 100 yard gun.

I took it to the range and burned up 3boxes of shells. It’s no tack driver but it was pretty easy to keep my 9x12” steel plate swinging at 100 yards offhand.

I think I’m going to use it for black bear over bait this year. I can’t think of a better rifle for the purpose. 170gr nosler Partition and 170 hornady interlocks @ 1975-1990fps. Either bullet should do nicely.

How many of you have boomerang rifles?

a9e6c19b9ea5be0c84b912fd0e765bb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is funny! Sounds like something I would do. I don't have any boomerang rifles, at least not that I remember. Hmmm

Nope never....all I have is sellers remorse. My "kids" all run away from home.... CL

Had a boomerang .358 BLR. However, I just sold it again. Yeah, it happens. It is interesting, but I must confess that I've never owned a 30-30. I've had quite a few Model 94s, but never had a 30-30.

Dr. Mike, You per it to yourself to own a couple 30-30s. I’m a firm believer that everyone ought to own a 10/22, a lever 30-30, and an 870 pump. Kind of like a starter kit.

I’m sure if you look around you could find a nice used 30-30 to give a tryout.

DrMike":ad8zcosy said:
I have two Model 94s in .307. Would they count?

They count for some interesting rifles, but they don’t count as the classic 30-30 that the 94 was intended to be.

I have owned the 30-30 in several variations. Leverguns, single shot pistol and rifle, and briefly owned a rem 788 in 30-30. The 788 was worth much more to someone else so I didn’t keep it long.

It is a very pleasant cartridge, easy to load for, effective beyond what shows in ballistic charts, and just plain fun to shoot.

Usually when I sell a rifle I'm tired of it and looking for funds for a new project since I like to tinker with them to improve on getting the best accuracy out of them.
Some guns you just seem to never get tired of and hold a fascination I can't describe.
If it's a lemon I sell it on GunBroker and never look back.

Reverse boomerang:

Many years ago a buddy of mine needed some cash and wanted to sell a few of his rifles. I bought a Ruger M77 in 220 Swift with a Unertal scope and a vintage Savage lever action. I really didn't need either rifle but they grew on me, especially the 220 Swift because I was hunting groundhogs extensively.

Some time later, the guy asks if I wanted to sell the guns back. I really didn't to but he said they were in his family for many years and he would like to buy them back. The guy was a good friend so I sold them both back for the original price even though the Swift was rebuilt and wearing new optics.

Traded my son-in-law my 7mmRM for a shotgun that I didn't really like. He wanted my Rem. 760 35 Rem so I traded it to him for the 7mm then bought another Rem 760 in 35 Rem from a friend of mind. Think I got satisfied at last, lol.

They are cool little rifles and so is that one. Got some of that character added to it like you say. I got my moms 94 here and it is fun to shoot and plenty accurate at iron sight ranges.

Thebear_78":oxtazd6r said:
Dr. Mike, You per it to yourself to own a couple 30-30s. I’m a firm believer that everyone ought to own a 10/22, a lever 30-30, and an 870 pump. Kind of like a starter kit.

I agree...it's odd, but sometimes I think I'll end my hunting career right where it started. In the big oak woods with my ancient Marlin 30-30.

...and at some level, I'd be just fine with that.

Thebear_78":20pdb48c said:

Funnily enough, for all the firearms I've owned (and now own), I've never owned any of these particular firearms. I've certainly shot any of a number of them when wringing them out for other people. Just never owned one myself. My Model 94s are all Big Bores. My .22 is a T-bolt. My 12 gauge is a Model 1300. Odd, that. I wouldn't mind having any of these; just never did own any of them.

DrMike":2hzmayqi said:
Had a boomerang .358 BLR. However, I just sold it again. Yeah, it happens. It is interesting, but I must confess that I've never owned a 30-30. I've had quite a few Model 94s, but never had a 30-30.

I could send that BLR 358 back if you want :lol: My young cousin likes how it handles and he came super close to shooting a nice bear yesterday with it, just couldn't quite get the angle we wanted.

DrMike":2hzmayqi said:
I have two Model 94s in .307. Would they count?

I know guys like the 30-30 and it works fine but I'm with you on liking the 307 and 356 much better, Would love to find a 94 in 357 magnum too.

Nice offer, Gerry. I'm still working up courage to divest myself of more rifles. There will be more going on the block later this summer. Can't say that I've given up my desire to possess; I'm just facing reality that comes with aging.

I still have one 30-30 in my safe :wink: it is a 340C I have purchased weaver side mounts for her but I have never installed them. I have a 2X Scopechief with a turn up post that was given to me by a old friend and one day I am going to mount it for my grandson (y).

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1rr3fgwb said:
I still have one 30-30 in my safe :wink: it is a 340C I have purchased weaver side mounts for her but I have never installed them. I have a 2X Scopechief with a turn up post that was given to me by a old friend and one day I am going to mount it for my grandson (y).

Blessings,
Dan
I too have a 340(B) in 30-30. I use it quite often. I have the Weaver side mount but ended up buying the sun optics/b-sqaure scope mount(pictured).....
dd56f2fc49c379448ca32e2e993d3a24.jpg
2d2006ce422ce40a6b2bd1e392b8d936.jpg

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Back