Bore cleaning bullets

Why would one run abrasives down a perfectly good bore?
Remember they are meant to "polish" out burrs and other imperfections and will also round rifleing edges and polish off metal from all areas of the bore.
I might use it as a last resort on a bad barrel before replacment, but never on one that shoots well.

A few years back when those Final Finish bullets were pretty new, I tried them, breaking in a 7mm Rem mag Sendero with them.

Results were interesting. At the time, I'd purchased three brand new Remingtons, two 7mm mags and a .300 Win mag. Quickly figured out that all three had rather rough bores, to go along with their gritty triggers.

Followed the directions with the FF bullets. Shot, cleaned, shot again. Kept that up until I'd worked through the alloted bullets. These bullets were 168 grain Sierra HPBT Matchkings, coated in the abrasive stuff. First ya use the coarse grit bullets, then move down to the finer grit bullets.

Obviously since I didn't shoot it before and after, all I have is the "after" accuracy... This rifle, a 7mm Rem mag Sendero, shot a .24" 100 yard group with factory 140 grain ballistic tip ammo shortly after break in. I was impressed. It continued to shine at longer ranges, and I shot a number of 3" and sub 3" groups with it at 600 yards, mostly with 160, 168 and 175 grain handloads.

One of those guns that a fellow wishes he hadn't sold. Money got real tight one year and that particular rifle was sacrificed. Bummer. It was my best shot at a long-range mule deer kill. I still miss that rifle.

I think that the FF bullets had something to do with the wonderful accuracy I saw from that rifle.

Regards, Guy

Ol` Joe":25bxtplf said:
Why would one run abrasives down a perfectly good bore?
Remember they are meant to "polish" out burrs and other imperfections and will also round rifleing edges and polish off metal from all areas of the bore.
I might use it as a last resort on a bad barrel before replacment, but never on one that shoots well.

What kind of groups do you have to shoot to have a rifle that shoots well?

There are all sorts of good coments about them on cabelas. I really dont think that it will round rifleing edges to an affect that will make it shoot bad. One of the guys stated that the abrasives came off when it was shipped, so I dont think that they are near as abrasive as you think. Most rifles that you just buy and are factory will not shoot at their best capability in my opinion. Factory rifles do not have near the time and care spent on them as custom ones. Running these bullets would just pick up the imperfections on the barrel comming out of the factory. Im sure that if it has ever harmed any guns, The company has either taken care of them or would have stopped making the bullets.

Obviously, if your gun already shoots at .25 at 100 yards or so you dont need to use these.......

smitty81 said:

I would say it all depends on the purpose of the gun and type of bullets your using. A good shooting hunting rifle is going to be a lot different then a custom compitition rifle. Some loads might shoot really well but might not have the velocity for long range penitration or good long range balistics. I think you need to decide what your going to be using your gun for, what anilmals your going to hunt pick a suitable bullet and work with it until it shoots at an exceptable level.

I have never used them nor do I think I ever would.
I have had very good luck with Nosler bullets. I shoot a lot of seconds from Shooters Pro Shop and give my barrels a good cleaning.

If I had a bad boar, these bullets might help restore accuracy but honestly, I would go get a new Hart barrel.

JD338

Shooting abrasive coated bullets may give a smooth bore, which is a blessed thing indeed, but what you may not expect is that they will lengthen your throat notably! If you like to seat close to the lands this can ruin your day. If I recall correctly I gained a 1/4" of jump using the Tubb system.

Of course, the alternative to these is a tub of JB's Bore Compound, or any of the other 'bore pastes' out there which contain a non-embedding abrasive and are used to clean bores. I have used the Break-Free Bore Paste to remove rust from a neglected bore for a friend, and have had excellent results. I don't see that the rifle was negatively impacted, as factory loads popped out a 1.3" group, roughly. I would be hesitant about fire-lapping a rifle that shot reasonably well, but if I had a bad shooter, and thought it might help, $50 is way less than a new barrel!

Back