Bought an R-10 Ross in .303 yesterday

duckcreekdick

Beginner
Jul 26, 2012
This might get Dr. Mike's attention because he likes Ross rifles as much or more than I do. This rifle was in the Sidney, Nebraska Cabela's Gun Library and it followed me home. The R-10 is the plain-jane sporting rifle with the same multi-lug bolt as the M-10 .280 Ross, but having an exposed magazine, plain walnut, no checkering, no grip cap and a plain steel buttplate. This particular rifle is completely stock, with the exception of a later Marbles rear sight. The bore cleaned up pretty well and should still handle jacketed bullets reasonably well. I have to make a small modification to the extractor because on extraction the cartridge falls off the bolt face before hitting the ejector. I wish I knew the story behind this grand old rifle. I would like to think that it played an important role for an early Canadian woodsman or homesteader. I'll try later to get some photos.

I have an R-10 which shoots quite well. Even with my aged eyes, I can produce 2 inch groups at 100 yards with factory ammo. I can tighten that somewhat with judicious hand loads. It is a sweet rifle to shoot.

I took the rifle (serial #14178) out of the stock this morning and found a few interesting things. Stamped on the underside of the barrel near the receiver was 87 BR. Hand stamped on the underside of the receiver ring was "TF Arms Thief River Falls MN. I had to straighten out the metal tab at the rear of the magazine box because it was bent forward towards the muzzle end and interfered with the cartridges feeding up correctly. I also tweaked the extractor so it gripped the cartridge rims tighter. After working some loaded rounds thru the rifle to check for proper function, I test fired the old gal with a Remington factory round and everything worked and looked normal. Next step is to shoot it off the bench to see how it performs.

I do enjoy my old R-10. Tragically, it doesn't get the attention for shooting it deserves. It wasn't mistreated during the years prior to my ownership, and it still shoots a fine group.

Those are some very cool rifles.. Pictures are a must DCD. Sounds like a good score though.

Still waiting to hear from Mike the effectiveness of the 280 Ross on those moose and elk of the North!

Here are a couple of photos of the R-10. I put eight rounds of factory Winchester ammo through it yesterday and the jury is still out on the rifles' accuracy potential. I plan to upgrade to better iron sights. Lot of fun to shoot though!

Attachments

• Ross R-10 002.jpg
    Ross R-10 002.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 731
  • Ross R-10 001.jpg
    Ross R-10 001.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 731
WOW! Very nice rifle! Looks like a fine rifle and I can imagine it really will shoot well with a little love! Thank you for putting up the pictures of the old rifle!

Sweeeeeet! I'm enjoying the Ross, and have done so for quite a few years. I have yet to tag game with my R10.

R-10 Ross update: I recently completed some TLC on the old Ross. The stock finish was stripped and then the wood was given a good scrubbing with a nylon brush and household ammonia. That got most of the oil soaking and crud removed. That was followed up with some light rasp work and careful sanding down to 180 grit, taking care to preserve the lines, corners and edges. The wood was then given a coat of Minwax walnut stain diluted with a bit of linseed oil, so that it wouldn't get too dark and would allow the grain to show better. Other than a good cleaning, nothing was done to the metal. Attached is a photo of the end result.

Attachments

• Ross R-10 refinished 002.jpg
    Ross R-10 refinished 002.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 668
Very handsome, Dick. That could stimulate me to work on mine. I'm tapped for time, but the results could well be worth the effort.

Back