Brass ejector marks (UPDATED)

wvchevy3

Handloader
Dec 4, 2005
While breaking in the barrel on my new .308 tikka I noticed extractor marks on my brass. The Lapua on the left is handloaded with a start load , on the right is factory Remington. Both show extractor marks, both cases measured 3.614 unfired and 3.616 fired using a head and shoulders gauge. Bolt lift was slightly tight upon extraction. Any ideas , I was wondering if its possibly a tight chamber. Lee

Attachments

• .308 brass.jpg
    .308 brass.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 2,708
If it was just one brand of brass I would suspect soft brass but with two it would be very unlikely. I would also be guessing a tight chamber or bore would be the culprit, it will be interesting to see what others think.

As Gerry stated, I would be inclined toward suggesting the chamber is a tad tight. Without other evidence of pressure excess, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the extractor marks on this load.

That's my thoughts exactly, I was thinking tight chamber as well. everything else looks good ,I threw in there a factory loaded round with a different headstamp to see if it was the same. I just hate seeing those ejector marks on my brass .Lee

Now that's possible.. it is a new rifle, I cleaned it well before i started , but I will check it out again.Lee

Absolutely, excess bore cleaner has done that for me. Find a way to make sure it's clean and maybe the problem will go away. Would be an easy thing to fix.

Mop out the chamber....and make sure there is no sizing lube on your brass.

I dump my brass into a bowl of acetone after sizing...don't do that with loaded ammo.

Brass has not been resized, New Lapua brass. The loaded factory ammo has none either. I will check and mop out chamber tomorrow.Lee

First guess isn't necessarily right, but you've got to admit it would require but a simple solution! :grin:

Gotta love a simple solution....just wish they were all that was required more often!

I hope this turns out to be the case here...it was for me a few years back, and took me a good while to figure out what it was.

If your using a slower burn rate powder up your charge to mid level, under pressure gives the same signs as overpressure
RR

I wanted to get some of my new lapua cases fired to get an H2o capacity. I was using Tac so it wasn't slow burning. load was 47 gr.gm210 and 125gr bt

Ridgerunner665":260l6d26 said:
I sound like a broken record, I know....but...oily chamber?
You hit the nail on the head....... (y) with your advice and the help of some denatured alcohol I mopped out the chamber, Problem solved. Thanks for a simple and quick fix, I can see how this could have made me scratch my head well into next year. Lee

Back