Brass types, makes and models????

dschow

Beginner
Sep 12, 2006
Is there a differance in the types of brass a person uses to reload with. Is there a brand of brass that is better constructed than another. Maybe lasts longer, stronger, better material. I am not sure. What are yor opinions.

Thanks
DS

Lapua or Norma. Both rock!

I have not tried Nosler yet though.

There are definitely differences in brass. I have had the most grief with Remington brass. Some folks swear by it...I swear at it. Winchester brass has always been decent. So has Federal. I don't reload nickel plated brass from any manufacturer any more...they always gave up the ghost after not many reloadings...probably too hard. Bought some Federal Match brass in .308 about 4 years ago that has been superb, especially considering the cost. Have some Norma brass in .280 that is also excellent. In handgun cartridges I've had good luck with Starline, S&B, PMC, Winchester, and Federal. Have to admit that I'm not as picky about the handgun brass as the rifle brass, but the Remington brass always split first around the case mouth. Maybe their brass is better now, but I wouldn't know 'cause I haven't bought any for quite a few years.

Definitely there's difference in brass quality. American brass are so so... with the exception of the new Nosler and Hornady. European brass are the best but pricey. Federal Gold Medal is excellent but it was discontinued. I use Winchester more than any other brand of brass with Federal second. I only use Remington on my 222 Remington Mag because they are the only source for this caliber. With the propagation of 204 Ruger, I might be able to get quality 204 brass and neck them up to 224. If you don't mind to case prep, American made brass is good enough but if you don't have time to do it, buy any European made brass, load them up and your good to go.

Good comments. I'll add that brass is made by machines, and machines wear over time and use, so one batch of brass may differ from another in the same caliber.

Also, it depends how picky you are. I'm pretty picky, so I sort mine by neck thickness variation. I prefer Winchester to Remington, but not by much. If all you want from it is to go "bang" and to be able to reload it four or five times, any will work fine.

Jaywalker

Back