Brass "wires" after seating

Tooter

Beginner
Oct 23, 2009
I've noticed a thin ring of brass at the case mouth after seating bullets in different calibers on bottleneck cartridges. It is easily removed with a thumbnail and pulling it off. Am I not aggressive enough with the chamferring tool? I'd just as soon it wasn't there.

It would appear that you are, indeed, not using the chamfering tool enough on the case mouths. Those slivers of copper that are being sliced off your bullets are not going to do good things for their accuracy.

Having said that, maybe most of us cannot shoot well enough to tell the difference. But, I am with you, I would just rather they did not exist.

I can only assume you are only having this problem with new cases. If it is happening with cases that have been fired a few times maybe your die is sizing the necks too much.

Hope you find the culprit.

A simple fix is to use the VLD chamfering tool from either RCBS or Lyman. This is an especial problem with the monolithic bullets. However, you will see the effect on other bullets as well. Another fix is to use a collet die that can be adjusted to provide for less neck tension.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I've been cautious about chamfering too much and reducing case length. A little thought about that makes me realize that you would have to grind quite a bit to do that.

342199.jpg

I love this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=342199

I have the same thing, but an RCBS one. Awesome piece of kit for the reloading bench. Scotty

Someone taught me to run the case mouth against fine steel wool after chamfering and deburring. I use the Lee caseholder from their little trimmer chucked into my cordless drill. Anytime I trim, I chamfer, deburr the outside, and then just push the casemouth against steel wool held against the edge of the bench. All of these are quick and light pass operations with the drill set on low speed.

Elkeater2

Back