Broken screw. Grrrrrrr

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Well I am setting up my rifles with their new scopes. I went to check the scope mount screws on my 338 and One of them was snapped. Now I have a broken screw in my Winchester and I need a new screw for the Leupod mount and have to get the screw out. So how do I do that and where can I get a screw without having to order one? I will call the gun shot tomorrow about the screw.

I always keep extras on hand in little prescription pill bottles

Getting the broken screw out can be a real pain...... all depending on where it broke at.

If it broke at the head, remove the other screw and lift the mount off giving you access to the remainder of the screw. At this point, it's just gripping the screw and twisting it out of the hole. Yeah, easier said then done at times.

If it is broken level with the action...... I'd suggest taking it too a gunsmith.

Mess up the threads trying to drill it out without a fixture will cost you more in the long run.

My Gunsmith normally would charge around 25.00 to remove the broken off screw but all of them do not charge the same prices? It would be something I would let a Gunsmith deal with for sure! Good luck getting it repaired :mrgreen:

Play with rifles long enough and this is sure to happen. I'm pleased to let someone else get it out when it does happen.

wisconsinteacher":357voo78 said:
Well I am setting up my rifles with their new scopes. I went to check the scope mount screws on my 338 and One of them was snapped. Now I have a broken screw in my Winchester and I need a new screw for the Leupod mount and have to get the screw out. So how do I do that and where can I get a screw without having to order one? I will call the gun shot tomorrow about the screw.

PM me and tell me what diameter length and thread (6-48, 8-40?) you need and I will send you a couple of screws for free.

Back