Scope Mounting Questions

CT.HNTR

Beginner
Feb 6, 2022
I am mounting a new scope on my Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 300 WBY and cannot decide if I should go with a picatinny rail or direct mounts. The scope is a Leupold VX6-HD 3-18 x 50mm. One option is to mount a steel picatinny rail and then use PRW2 rings or something similar. I like this method as everything is steel but I have three sets of mounting screws or three mounting interfaces. The other option is to use the Leupold Backcountry rings which have a single piece solid base that mounts directly to the receiver. The concern I have with these mounts is they are aluminum so I don't feel they will be as strong as the steel PRW2 mounts. On the flip side I really like that I only have two sets of mounting screws, so I feel it is a simpler set-up with fewer screws that can loosen up. I am really torn as to what option to choose. I want the strongest most robust set-up and am not sure which is best. I would appreciate opinions on this.

Thanks!

Don't discount aluminum just because it isn't as strong as steel. The Backcountries are fantastic mounts (and all that I'll use if I can). What I'd worry more about is if you even have the length on the scope tube for mounting it on the long Mark V action with the backcountries.

I have Back Country mounts on my 270 win and Tikka 6.5x55. My son is using them on couple of his rifles. We have no issues with them. None of our scopes have the 50mm obj just 40mm so take height in consideration when ordering. Dan.

This rifle has the Backcountry mounts on it with a 40mm objective/1 inch tube scope in them.

IMG-8540.jpg

I am mounting a new scope on my Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 300 WBY and cannot decide if I should go with a picatinny rail or direct mounts. The scope is a Leupold VX6-HD 3-18 x 50mm. One option is to mount a steel picatinny rail and then use PRW2 rings or something similar. I like this method as everything is steel but I have three sets of mounting screws or three mounting interfaces. The other option is to use the Leupold Backcountry rings which have a single piece solid base that mounts directly to the receiver. The concern I have with these mounts is they are aluminum so I don't feel they will be as strong as the steel PRW2 mounts. On the flip side I really like that I only have two sets of mounting screws, so I feel it is a simpler set-up with fewer screws that can loosen up. I am really torn as to what option to choose. I want the strongest most robust set-up and am not sure which is best. I would appreciate opinions on this.

Thanks!

IMO you can't beat a high-quality pic rail (like Murphy Precision) and a robust set of rings. Murphy produces bases for just about every receiver and they make them in various metals & finishes and they are available in 0-moa-10moa-20moa. Burris has a set of tactical rings with inserts that bolt up tight. No honing of rings, no binding of scope tubes and no marks on your expensive optics. They hold very well, even on the hardest kickers. Inserts can solve a lot of problems while not creating any of their own.

I would go with the picatinny rail and PRW2 rings. The VX-6HD 3-18x50mm is a big scope and when mounted on a heavier recoiling rifle like a 300 Wby, you need a solid mounting system. Leupold recommends this with the bigger scopes on 300 Win Mag and bigger.
I have the same scope on a picatinny rail and PRW2 rings for my 338 RUM and it's solid. No issues and consistent repeatability when dialing.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_202705852.jpg
    IMG_20210710_202705852.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 8
A pic rail also allows for good adjustability for proper eye relief. My Mark Vs all wear pic rails.

My vote is for Burris XTR Signature rings with their XTR bases. The ring inserts are amazing for scope protection and eliminate the need for lapping. They also have amazing grip....used them on several heavy hitters w/o POI shifts (including 300 wby. mag).

If you're worried about the screws backing off with the pic rail and PRWs, use a small drop of blue loctite on them for added security when torquing to final specs, after ensuring eye relief is adjusted properly for you.

I would go with the picatinny rail and PRW2 rings. The VX-6HD 3-18x50mm is a big scope and when mounted on a heavier recoiling rifle like a 300 Wby, you need a solid mounting system. Leupold recommends this with the bigger scopes on 300 Win Mag and bigger.
I have the same scope on a picatinny rail and PRW2 rings for my 338 RUM and it's solid. No issues and consistent repeatability when dialing.

JD338
So for clarification do you feel the set-up with the picatinny rail and PRW2 rings is more solid because the components are steel vs aluminum or is there a different reason for this being the preferred set-up? Do the cross slots make this more robust? Do you use a steel or aluminum pic rail and what brand have you had success with? Warne makes a steel pic rail for the Mark V which looks pretty solid.

This is what a Leupold technician told me to use.
I had problems with the scope not taking adjustment and sent it back to Leupold to service.
In a phone discussion I told him I was using their standard rings and bases, dove tail front and windage screws rear mounts. He said due to the size and weight of t scope, it's top heavy and the mass really gets snapped around on heavy recoiling rifles like my 338 RUM. His recommendation was the Leupold pic mount and PRW2 rings on 300 Win Mag recoil and above.
I've switched all our rifles over to the Leupold picatinny rail and PRW2 rings, including the 257 Roberts, 6.5 CM, 308 Win and 280AI, and there have been zero issues.

JD338

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!

I like the PRW2 rings because they are steel.

This is what a Leupold technician told me to use.
I had problems with the scope not taking adjustment and sent it back to Leupold to service.
In a phone discussion I told him I was using their standard rings and bases, dove tail front and windage screws rear mounts. He said due to the size and weight of t scope, it's top heavy and the mass really gets snapped around on heavy recoiling rifles like my 338 RUM. His recommendation was the Leupold pic mount and PRW2 rings on 300 Win Mag recoil and above.
I've switched all our rifles over to the Leupold picatinny rail and PRW2 rings, including the 257 Roberts, 6.5 CM, 308 Win and 280AI, and there have been zero issues.

JD338
Can I assume you are using the Leupold Backcountry aluminum pic rail?

The 338 RUM has a steel picatinny rail all the rest , including my 375 H&H Mag and my wife's 30 Nosler are the Leupold Backcountry rail.

JD338

Back