Model 70 Mount and Ring recommendations...

Many thanks for all the suggestions; here's where I landed.

First off I knew I had to select a scope before trying to get the rings and mounts right. I was in no rush with this project so I wasn't really looking for an optic, until I was. On vacation last week it rained one day. I went to a rather large LGS in the next town over to kill time. In the back left corner behind hundreds of Leupolds were 2 Bushnell boxes. The only 2 in the entire optics section. One box was a LR something-or-another, the second was an Elite 3-10x40. It was NOS and had a 10 year old price tag of $349. Depreciation was my friend and I walked out with it for under two bills. My first 'quality' scope years ago was a 3200, and this is the model that replaced it. I knew it was meant for the M70. Now to the mounts...

I purchased some two-piece Talleys. They are tall enough that low rings give enough clearance for the bolt throw and objective bell off the front. I have yet to settle on rings, but have been trying ones I have laying around from other projects. Here's a pic.

20230809_170444.jpg

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

-B

First off I knew I had to select a scope before trying to get the rings and mounts right. I was in no rush with this project so I wasn't really looking for an optic, until I was. On vacation last week it rained one day. I went to a rather large LGS in the next town over to kill time. In the back left corner behind hundreds of Leupolds were 2 Bushnell boxes. The only 2 in the entire optics section. One box was a LR something-or-another, the second was an Elite 3-10x40. It was NOS and had a 10 year old price tag of $349. Depreciation was my friend and I walked out with it for under two bills. My first 'quality' scope years ago was a 3200, and this is the model that replaced it. I knew it was meant for the M70. Now to the mounts...

I purchased some two-piece Talleys. They are tall enough that low rings give enough clearance for the bolt throw and objective bell off the front. I have yet to settle on rings, but have been trying ones I have laying around from other projects. Here's a pic.

View attachment 20539

-B
I use Leupold QRW on most of mine.

Warne bases and Leupold PRW's

Warne bases and Warne vertical rings

Warne bases and TPS Alloy LOWS

Warne bases and Leupold Backcountry 1" Low

Leupold Backcountry 30mm Mediums (one piece)

Talley 1" Lows

Talley 30mm Lows

Warne Bases and Leupold Backcountry 30mm Meds

Warne Bases and Warne MountainTech 1" Lows (I think)

I tried to like pic rails but I hate them covering up the ejection port area of my rifles. My hands are too big and I tend to carry my rifles around that point. Hope the pictures help out.

You have an awesome M70 there. I hope it shoots half as good as it looks!

View attachment 20539

-B
Those look great and I like the slots. Really versatile. Thanks for that picture, it should be a rugged set up!

I have Leupold on all my model 70’s.
From .243- 458 WM
I do have one rifle with DNZ and haven’t had any problems

Back