Browning X bolt

dieselpwr

Beginner
Sep 6, 2009
Hey everyone, I am kicking around the idea of getting another rifle. I can get a really good deal on a x bolt. What is everyones experience with Browning rifles. Or should I just stay with the old trusty remingtons or savage.

Thanks, Chet

I have shot several Browning rifles during the past year. All shot acceptably for an off-the-shelf rifle. Some were very good, and some were good. None were utterly detestable. The X-bolt seems to work well in my experience.

DO what you want I have a hard time getting away from remingtons they have never done me wrong. Remember browning is made in japan which as far as quality goes is probably fine but doesnt do a whole lot for the american.

Diesel...........................I have read a few reviews (not from gunwriters)on the X Bolts and the reports on them are a mixed bag. I have also handled them, but have never actually shot one.

The not so good reviews, have been about the feeding. The new X Bolts use a newly designed S curve type feeding system that is in the detachable magazine, which is "supposed" to be better than conventional detachable box designs.

For bolt action rifles, I for one have never been a big fan of the detachable box magazines and prefer loading conventionally at the top.

I'm arriving late to this party, but I do have a X-bolt in .280 rem! I love the rifle and it is very accurate. I can get less than 1" groups with handloads. It serves it purpose in TX for whitetail that can't tell the difference between 1" and 1.5" at 100 yards. Growing up I always hunted with Browning rifles and I really like them. Quality is good and the fit and finish is awesome as well. You already get the rifle with a free-float bbl right outta the box and the stock is pillar bedded from the factory. For the price, you can't beat it. Hope you decide to get it.

I have owned three A-bolts in .243 Medalion, .280 Rem Composite and .300 WSM Medalion. All three rifles shoot three shot groups of about one inch at 200 yards. My son now has the .300 WSM in Wyoming but I still have the other two and they are very accurate.

My son has had a 270 A bolt for sometime. I have shot it some. It is extremely accurate and handles well. Very nice.

I too have an X-Bolt in a .280 Remington. The rifle shoots very tiny groups but it screwed up and was not shooting so well at 4 different Antelope last year. Funny thing though, back at the range it decided to shoot tiny groups again. :grin: I know only having one of them is not really a good test of how they will all be, but I am happy with mine.

I shot a Browning Medalion for a number of years in the 375 H & H once I got the boss system tuned in it shot just fine.
Never used anything but 235 speers in it and it never failed me.

Blessings,
Dan

Every one I owned or handloaded for shot very well except on in 300 RUM. I think the barrel was too whippy,

Back