Building a 338 win mag for Plains Game

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
I bucked up and laid down a deposit for a plains game hunt in S.A. for spring of 2018. Of course the 270 will be going, but this may be the only time I get over there and I really want to hunt a Zebra and an Eland, so I need a bigger rifle. I sold my 375 ruger and want a little more bullet mass than .30 caliber so....decided to build a 338 win mag. Should be a great caliber for larger plains game and would be great for alaska if I ever get up there. Will put the hurt on elk here in Idaho in the mean time. Going to build an "all weather rifle" so here are the specs..

SS Win 70 Classic New Haven G series action (300 win mag donor) Trigger already worked on and just about perfect.

Williams obendorf bottom metal

Williams Firearms Magnum Extractor

SS Shilen #4 1/10 twist - normal shank exposed, finished at 24"

McMillan Black Win 70 Supergrade stock - standard fill

Talley steel rings/bases

Scope - Cabelas Euro (meopta) 4-12x50

Will cerakote the receiver, bottom metal, barrel, and bolt handle in stainless (Double Protection from elements) Should be a good, sturdy, reliable rifle when all said and done. I have my eye on 225 grain loads - we will see how those start out.

Sounds like a perfect rifle.
Looking forward to seeing pictures when it's done.

JD338

I have a similar set up but would suggest a 26" barrel to get 50-75 "free" feet per second. My barrel is tight chambered and approaches weatherby velocities. I also have a .375 ruger, but find the the .338 more versitil on all but the biggest game. Kevin.

A great cartridge that will serve you well in Africa; and you are assembling top-flight components. Can only imagine that this will be a great rifle that will work exceptionally well.

Bang-flop; bang-flop, I really think you've pick a great combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could just take the 338 WM as a one rifle safari and save a lot of hassle, though 2 isn't bad. I never got a shot at eland, but have taken zebra. I used on zebra a 35 WAI with both 250X and 200X, and a 340W with 210XBT. I used and saw used the 300 WM and 180XBT on a lot of game, but a less than perfect shot on a zebra led us a very long tracking job, the 30cal entrance hole closed right up. I really like Barnes on Plains Game, I even took a close Impala with that 340W and didn't hurt the cape. I saw the 338 Winmag used with 200X too, it is a good one. Really, even on Eland, that 210 Barnes will do just fine, unless you just like 225gr, certainly nothing wrong with it! I later had my super lwt 340w rebarreled to 338WM and used the 185XLC on elk. I also used the Nosler 180AB in a 338 RUM on Aoudad....meaning to say your choice of the 338WM is a really good, really solid choice! Use a good 225 in Africa, either the 210 or 180AB in Idaho! have a ball!

Very cool rifle and one of the most versatile cartridges around. I've had a 338 Win for a long time and it's still my go to for most hunting.

The rifle should be excellent! Wow.

I think I'd prefer a lower powered, more compact scope, but that's your preference, so go for it!

What a neat hunt you have coming up!

Guy

I used a Leupold 1.5x5 mostly but also a Zeiss 3x9 Conquest. I only used 9X over in Namibia. I never hunted the Cape or karoo, so I imagine at least a 3x9 would do well there too.

My 338 Win Mag wore an older Vari-X III in 3.5-10x40 that worked great on grizzly bear at 8 yards, bison at 200 and elk out to 300 yards

Blkram":1b2a9k7q said:
My 338 Win Mag wore an older Vari-X III in 3.5-10x40 that worked great on grizzly bear at 8 yards, bison at 200 and elk out to 300 yards

Like the way you sorta just dropped "grizzly bear at 8 yards" in there, like it's no big deal... :shock:

Ya, the Vari-X III scopes were welcome when they arrived! I've got a few still, and love 'em. Including a 3.5-10x, well, had it until it ended up on my son's 6mm Remington somehow... :grin:

Guy

Guy Miner":3stdheh0 said:
Blkram":3stdheh0 said:

Like the way you sorta just dropped "grizzly bear at 8 yards" in there, like it's no big deal... :shock:

Ya, the Vari-X III scopes were welcome when they arrived! I've got a few still, and love 'em. Including a 3.5-10x, well, had it until it ended up on my son's 6mm Remington somehow... :grin:

Guy
Don't you just love it when a child or the wife just seem to claim things like that. Mine does it with my hunting knives so I keep them locked up in the safe where they are out of site and out of mind. :lol:

I am looking forward to your 338win mag build using those components I am sure will make a great shooting rifle. Can't wait for photographs & range reports (y).

Blessings,
Dab

You could also go "Old School" and use the Woodleigh 250gr round nose soft point or even the 300gr round nose and kill everything over there!

Looks like you really put your components together nicely. That should be an exciting build and a lot of fun working up the perfect load for it. Can't wait for you to post up some photographs.

David

I've talked to several folks who took a light and a medium rifle to Africa and ended up using the medium the entire trip. A couple reported they'd never drag two rifles over there ever again- they'd take a fast .33 or .35 and be done with it unless dangerous game was on the menu.

Looks like a first rate build, can't wait to see photos.

I know a gentleman that did some cape buffalo culling with a .338 Win Mag and thinks it's the most versatile rifle cartridge.
He's who got me into shooting the .338 Win Mag and I happen to agree with him.
With the Barnes Bullets you can go lighter, 180 to 210 grain, and be well set up. I'd just take one rifle and it would be the thudy thudy ate.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince":9dec8tgr said:
With the Barnes Bullets you can go lighter, 180 to 210 grain, and be well set up. I'd just take one rifle and it would be the thudy thudy ate.

My hunting partner up here uses a .338WM loaded with 180 ABs.... it is a real killing machine. Shoots flat and hits hard. It'd be fine for any plains game- he's knocked over plenty of caribou and a couple moose with it.

Idahohunter8

someone ask me to read your post sir. Your building a very nice rifle and it will serve you well on your plains game hunt.

Many use the 338 and 9.3 x 62, popular calibers. If possible you might ask your PH if it is possible to hunt the Hartman Zebra, which will provide you a much more challenging hunt. They are however native to Namibia and not as available in other countries. Either way your 338 will be more than enough gun for the Zebra and Eland. They are large animals with fairly tough hides but the only plains game animal with hide as tough as an elephant or buffalo is the Giraffe and I dont know if you plan to hunt them. Do you know if your hunting the Cape or Livingston Eland ?

We use Woodleigh, Swift, Norma and a couple others that are made in Africa.

Although we dont use scopes that large, the one you have chosen will certainly work for you

I wish you all the best on your build and hunt sir

Best Regards

Jamila

Back