Bullet Seating Marks

MrMinks2

Beginner
Oct 29, 2014
I recently loaded some .30-06 using a 180 grn. AccuBond and 62.0 grns. of RL 22 @ 3.330" O.A.L. as recommended in the Nosler guide. This combination is a compressed load and as a result, my Hornady seating die left a significant circular mark on the bullet. Will this deformation negatively impact accuracy? Are there other bullet seating dies that would not result in bullet deformation? (I only own Hornady dies for all of my rifles.)

Attachments

• seating mark.jpg
    seating mark.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 2,379
  • seating mark.jpg
    seating mark.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 2,379
I would try using a longer drop tube in order to drop the charge. Chances are it'll settle the charge a little better allowing the bullet to seat without so much force.

I am sure it won't hurt anything with the ring on the bullet but I would be worried about inducing runout with the bullet requiring that much force to seat it.

A simple fix is to use a seating stem ground to fit VLD bullets. I'm not certain Hornady provides such stems, but RCBS and Redding both sell them as after market entities. A competent machinist can make one easily enough. However, the deformity will not affect accuracy at ranges of less than 450 yards or so. Perhaps it will have an impact on long-range shooting, but I've never witnessed it yet.

I had this same problem with all my Hornady rifle dies. The worst of them all was for my .22-250. At that time, approx ten years ago, Hornady said there is nothing that can be done to fix it.

On a hunch I tried the Redding Competition Bushing dies "$$$ :shock: ". The problem vanished, with the exception of the .22-250 set. Instead of an impression/indentation like in the photo, I get a very narrow cut/scratch. If I really wanted to, I could probably fix it with a little emery cloth. The seating plug has a noticeable edge in it.

Hornady does make a different seating stem . you could probably call them to ask if it would match the bullet better than the one you have . it probably won't hurt anything , but I don't like to mar the bullet .

I agree with Scotty , use a drop tube funnel .

I dont't believe the mark will cause a problem. However the picture does seem to show significant deformation. But bear in mind that the seating stem in your die has a generic "ogive" profile that hornady provides to hopefully fit most bullets. Any die set you buy will have the same issue. There are differences in bullet shapes that cannot be expected to fit with every one exactly.
Most die brands offer the the service of making a new stem for you to fit your specific bullet. Call Hornady to check the price of a stem for your specific bullet.You should be able to get a new stem made to fit your chosen bullet for a reasonable price if you decide to stick with that bullet and powder combo. - - - :)

Take the seating stem out and check for a sharp edge on the end of the bullet engagement cavtity. You could only need to deburr that a little bit. :)

I had the same issue with RCBS seating stems. I switched to Forster dies and the issue went away?

Lose the Hornady die and get a Redding die. In my limited time in reloading I have not been impressed at all with the Hornady dies.

Oldtrader3":lio2llxs said:
I had the same issue with RCBS seating stems. I switched to Forster dies and the issue went away?
After weighing all of the options and opinions, I think I'll try a Forster or Redding seating die.

Thanks All

The Redding die set is expensive but worth it.

JD338

This has probably already been said but you could chamfer the inside of the seater die stem so it gives more contact on the bullet and is easy to do with hand tools.

MrMinks2":144aixkh said:
Oldtrader3":144aixkh said:
After weighing all of the options and opinions, I think I'll try a Forster or Redding seating die.

Thanks All

FWIW; I recently bought the Redding die set for my 5.56 (.223), the one that comes with a micrometer adjustment for bullet seating. Have been trying test loads so far with 4 different bullets. Getting into compressed charges now and the seating stem does burnish a ring on the ogive of 2 of them.
However, this ring is not as dramatic looking as your photos appear to indicate. On any of the 4 tested, my fingernail cannot detect any groove in the area of the ring. In my case, I will remove the seating stem and lightly chamfer/ polish the edge that contacts the bullet.
Very happy with this die set. Especially like the bushing neck sizer system which allows me to fine tune the neck tension on the bullet. Good luck ! :)

jmak920":3poueqm3 said:
MrMinks2":3poueqm3 said:
Oldtrader3":3poueqm3 said:

Thanks All

FWIW; I recently bought the Redding die set for my 5.56 (.223), the one that comes with a micrometer adjustment for bullet seating. Have been trying test loads so far with 4 different bullets. Getting into compressed charges now and the seating stem does burnish a ring on the ogive of 2 of them.
However, this ring is not as dramatic looking as your photos appear to indicate. On any of the 4 tested, my fingernail cannot detect any groove in the area of the ring. In my case, I will remove the seating stem and lightly chamfer/ polish the edge that contacts the bullet.
Very happy with this die set. Especially like the bushing neck sizer system which allows me to fine tune the neck tension on the bullet. Good luck ! :)

jmak920":mu61dox8 said:
MrMinks2":mu61dox8 said:
Oldtrader3":mu61dox8 said:

Thanks All

Well, the good news is that the Redding seating die arrived on time. The not so good news is that when I opened the package there is a very visible orange colored warning card inside that clearly states that this seating die is NOT to be used for compressed loads. But, the die is very well made and the majority of my .30-06 loads are not compressed so I'll definitely keep it and maybe pick one up for the .25-06 as well.
I did contact Hornady this AM regarding the seating marks issue and look forward to their comments.

I did chamfered the seater stem and then it locked and pulled all of my bullets out!!!!!!! The stem was out of tolerance and made the case neck too big. That was my last RCBS die purchase!

Buy Forster and avoid the crappy RCBS tolerances!

Back