Bullet Seating

G

Is it beyond reason to believe an increase in velocity could exist by seating the bullet further out? Specifically my 30-06 using 150 Partitions. The gun is a Remington 700 with 22" barrel. I know that accuracy can be affected too.

Don

Myself I can't see it if that is all that is changed. I have been wrong before though.

There is a potential increased velocity because of increased case capacity. Whether the increase is significant or not is dependent upon a number of other factors, however.

DON":2bq3x33c said:
Is it beyond reason to believe an increase in velocity could exist by seating the bullet further out? Specifically my 30-06 using 150 Partitions. The gun is a Remington 700 with 22" barrel. I know that accuracy can be affected too.

Don
Not sure about increase in velocity unless the powder charge is increase also. Setting the bullet farther out will get you closer to the land and can change the pressure curve of your reload. It is a fact that pressure can rise significantly if the bullet is seated closer to the land resulting in higher velocity.

I agree with Desert Fox. Moving the bullet closer to the lands will raise pressures most of the time. More pressure means more velocity. Then on the other hand it could be a different day that you recorded the velocities and the sky screens on your chrono saw things a little difference and that was you velocity increase. I have had that happen a few times.

Thanks everyone I 'll keep all that in mind, for now I have them seated out with quit a bit of room to go. I'll keep an eye on the pressures.

Thanks,
Don

You will not see an increase in pressure by seating the bullet closer to the lands until you engage the lands unlerss you are adding powder.Rick.

You won`t see an increase in velocity with a 30-06 sized case by seating out. A straight walled case with a full diameter bullet where seating long increases case capacity at a higher ratio, maybe.
There is a general rule of thumb that a 10% increase in powder capacity gives about a 4% increase in velocity at the same pressure. You will have to seat a 30 cal bullet a long way out of a bottle neck case to raise capacity enough to notice over the normal extreme spread of the load.

When I said closer to land, I mean really closer to land between .001 t0 .003 jump. I doubt if you'll see much difference in strain gauge reading between a load that touches the land than the one with .001 or .003 jump on them.

What DrMike said is dead on. Lots of tricks and secrets but the truth is "every rifle and outcome can be a little different".

Here's my 30-06 load. I have one powder charge it's 55.0 grains of Winchester 748 Powder. New Winchester Cases. Federal 210 Match Primers or Regular 210 Primers.

I can put either the 150 grain Ballistic Tip, the AccuBond or the Partition in the case and get great results. I get 3,000 fps from all but the Partition which gives me 2900-2950 fps. I haven't loaded any 150 Partitions for awhile and remembered that I have the ability and room to seat the bullet a little further out. So I did, on a trial run/ test basis. I also changed primers to try some CCI 200's that I had in inventory. Will try to get to the Range this week some time.

Don

Back