burris or leupold

30 whisper

Beginner
Dec 13, 2006
Hi
I' ve been looking at scopes and am wondering if any one has any ideas on these two scopes for hunting and some paper punching.
first the leupold 3x9x40vx2 or 3.5x10x50vx3 I realy like thier products. I have some of thier binos. 2nd burris 3x9x40 balistic plex or 3.5x50 signiture series. I have looed all the scopes and in a store they are all very close in clarity. has any one used burris in the field how do they stand up. any problems with the forever warrinty. The same with the leupold. thanks

Leupold, hands down. The VXIII is the way to go. Leupold customer service is second to none.

JD338

It may seem a little picky, but I don't care for the adjustments on the Burris. I like Leupold, Bushnell, Nikon, and Zeiss, as far as scopes go. There are good scopes from others, but I just don't find a need. See what you think of the adjustments on the turrets with the scopes you are looking at, that may help you decide. And as far as Leupold goes, the VXIII is great, but for the money, the VXII is a great scope, and a great deal. On the less expensive side, I like Bushnell Elite 3200 scopes, and have had great service out of mine.

Burris is junk IMO. They aren't crisp or clear at all to my younger eyes. I admit it was only a fullfield 2 w/bal plex, but I was not impressed at all with the scopes optical quality. Maybe there higher end scopes are better, but I dont know for sure. Burris customer service also is a hit or miss, from quite a few other threads I've read. So as you might be able to tell, I'm a die hard Leupold fan. Even there cheap 3-9 vx2 is a great scope. Crisp, clear, good adjustments, best warranty in the business should something go wrong. Cant go wrong with a leupold. I've got the older vari x 2, 3-9x40, 2 of the vx2 6-18x40, and a vx3 LR 6.5-20x50. I also at one time had a Leup Mark4, but traded it for the vx3 LR 6.5-20. Leupolds haven't ever let me down and they are always crisp around the edges and plenty bright. I would get one of there 3-9's w/target turrets and you'd have a good scope out to 600 yards or so.

Hey.
thanks for the info. leupold is what I leaning to, all the comments help me make up my mind, I just have to save $300 to buy one. :lol:

The older Burris Signatures is an excellent scope, better than VariXIII Leupold. I have both so I'm able to compare them. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. For what you're going to pay at those scope you've mentioned, and If I were you, I'd rather cruise ebay and find me and older Bausch and Lomb Balvar or the Elite's. The older Japanese made Nikon if you can find one is also one of the clearest scope I've ever seen. Even the older Redfield Accu-Tracs well be a good one. The bottom line is that, a lot of this median price scope this days are pieces of junk in my opinion. Name brand like Leupold, Nikon, Burris, must also carry them in their line of optics to be able to compete and survive. They have no choice. As a matter of fact, my safe are littered with those junks :lol: . Live and learned. There is a saying "Buy the best and cry only once" :wink:

Leupold by far in the VX-III, but the VX-II has a two-piece tube so the Burris beats it in the VX-II and VX-I categories.

I have both. I had a Burris Fullfield II w/ the ballistic plex on my 7mm, it is a good scope but I just got tired of it to be honest. After talking w/ the guys here I bought a Leupold VX-III 2.5x8 & I have to say it is a very clear scope. I have a couple VX-I, VX-II & a old M-8, 4X but the VX-III is in a class by it's self.

Jar Head

30 whisper

The VXIII is an excellent choice. Don't know what or where you are hunting or what you are going to put it on, but look at the 2.5x8x36 and the 3.5x10x40 scopes. Both will give you low light capability and more than enough magnification.

JD338

I am putting it on my custom mol 7 rem .308 -.234 switch barrel for deer elk and anthing in between the 243 has 24" ted gailard 1-8 twist barrel ss the .308 is 22" douglas match not ss blued and piened mat black. both shoot 1/2 to 5/8 5 shot groups at 100 meters right now i have 2.5 x10 tasco varmit its cheep but serves its purpose just poor in low light at dawn and dusk and not very sharp and i have always wanted to put a good scope on it . When i refinish the stock and finish chechering it i will post pics of it with new scope . I hunt in the mountians and some flat land in british cloumbia canada town elivation is 3001 ft above sea level and most hunting is 4000 and up.

I have been using a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X40 with their B&C hunting reticle this year. I took it to Wyoming to try on antelop (and ended up with a 90 yard shot, so no test).

It is an excellent scope, and the times I have used Leupold's service it has been outstanding.

jim

Both Leupold and Burris make good products, especially the VX3 and the Signature line.

However, do your eye a favor and have a look through a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope before you decide. They have 4" of constant eye relief, unsurpassed clarity and brighness in this price catagory and a very nice reticle for general hunting use. The bonus is that it has the parallax focus is set for 100 yards and that makes target work more pleasant to look at than the 150 focus of a Leupold. The price is a bit less than a Leupold VX3. If you are one of those that is "Buy American", consider this: Zeiss Conquest scopes are made in New York. Leupold scopes are made in Oregon (binos in the Far East) and Burris Signature line is made in Colorado (Fullfield II scopes are made in PI). Zeiss uses European Ziess made glass for its' Conquest line, Leupold brings in its' glass form the far east....China maybe? Burris bring its' glass in from ? What I am saying is Zeiss is American made.

Go have a look through a Conquest and Leupold side by side and you will see that the Conquest is far superior. Yes, they also have a life time warranty...they are tough and very durable too. If you can't see the difference, go buy a Tasco. :lol:

Thanks. I found this site by accident yesterday....I am a regular on many other sites but a green horn here.

I too have owned many Leupold's....I figure the number is somewhere around 35. That is over 40 years of competitive target shooting and hunting....I cannot remember how many deer I have taken but it would be close to a 100 by now, not to mention other species. Leupold used to be the only scope I'd consider but I'll never own another one. I live in Alberta so having Canadian service is important and Leupold has that...they are great with service. But, I know that because I have used it a fair bit! I have had Vari-X and VX3's that would not track properly, many reticles that were not perfectly straight, one Vari-X 3 2-8x36mm could not be sighted in...the erector assembly was faulty right out of the box....I also had a M8 12x AO fixed Leupold that arrived with a thumb print in black paint on the inside of the ocular lenses. Yup, the service is great but at the price they charge, they darn well should be great. I don't know about you, but I hate having to take a scope off my rifle for repair.....re-sighting isn't cheap when one considers the cost of ammo and the hassle factor.

Scope tracking is another bug bear of mine.....I have had isues at the range with Leupold at times.....my rifles group under an inch at 100 yards so I expect my groups to move accordingly when I adjust my scope's POI. With a poor tracker, they usually don't. So, if you are an inch too high on target and want to bring your POI down an inch, 4 clicks should do it at 100 yards, right? Well, sometimes it will come down an inch alright but then sometimes it will also move the whole group to the right or left an inch or so as well. Some Leupold's have done this to me, not all though.

Zeiss and Bushnell also have Canadian service centers but I have never had to use them. By the way, for anyone looking to save some money and still get a top quality scope, the Bushnell Elite line (3200 and 4200) is in my opinion, by far one of the best scopes for the money....much less than a comparable Leupold and every bit as reliable....better optics than the Leupold to my eye as well. Rainguard is an added feature and the 4200 is especailly clear and bright. The only thing one has to watch with the Elites is eye relief. In the 3200 series, they make a 3-10x40 that has 3.7" and a 5-15x40 that has over 4". But many of the 3200's and 4200's have only 3.3" and that is a bit short for an eyeglass wearer prone shooting using a kicker....say 30-06 and up. In the 4200 series, I use a 4-16x40mm that has 3.5" and it is a great scope for about 2/3 the cost of what a VX3 4x14 Leupold costs up here. It is clearly better optically too. See for yourself in a side by side test.

Anyway, Leupold looks nice and they are very light, but...... :(

Eagle eye

Hey Iam of to calgary next week to get my eyes lazered but i will chech out wholesale sports and look at all the scopes thanks for info and opinions.

Good luck with that laser treatment...you are a brave man! I'll stick with eye glasses. :eek:

Last time I looked, Wholesale Sports was selling the matte finish Zeiss Conquest for $599. For our neighbors in the USA that think that is a lot of cash, think again. The MSRP is around $799. The price for a Leupold VX3 3-10x40 at Wholesale is $649 for the regular duplex reticle and $719 for the Boone & Crocket reticle.

Now everytime I look through my Zeiss scope I am astounded at the clarity and brightness. It is not too big or bulky for my 30-06 Remington 700 SPS either. Nor does the ocular lenses get in the way of cycling the action. As for weight, it is only a few ounces more than a Leupy. I believe if you optically compare the Zeiss Conquest to a Leupold VX3 3-10x40mm side by side, you'l be very impressed by the clarity and brightness of the Zeiss. Going with a Zeiss gives you an American made product with excellent Zeiss proprietary coated European made glass and a lifetime warranty.

Thankfully, we have lots of choice for scopes.....just as we have choice in many other products. Other than trucks and cars, I can't think of another product that "raises the flag" or generates more opinions than scopes do!

Good hunting!

30 Whisper

Sorry.....I just re read your original post and I missed the fact you were putting the scope on a model 7 Remmie. The Zeiss 3-9x40 is probably going to be too large for that rifle.

So, as an alternative, take a look at the 3-10x40 Bushnell Elite 3200. It has 3.7" of eye relief and was designed for short magnum rifles. It is shorter than most scopes and the optics are very good. The price is excellent at around $280. Lifetime warranty and Canadian service too. They are tough scopes and have the added feature of a "Rain Guard" coating.

For anyone that turns up their nose at Bushnell Elite scopes...remember these are the high end series which used to be called Bausch & Loomb Balvar....only these scopes are even better than they were. They are made in Japan by the finest optics maker they have, they don't come from some third world country and they are very well made. Furthermore, the clarity and brightness of these scopes is hard to match at this price point.

Good luck.

My dad owns a couple of the older 3-9 elite 3000 scopes, pretty much the same thing as the 3200 w/out the rainguard. They are decent scope for the money, $200 at the time, but for that price you could get the old VX2 3-9x40 leupold for the same price. Leupold or Bushnell Baush and Lomb, I'll take Leupold every time. Not to mention the Leupold can be fittted with a target knob while the elite series are out of the question. I also wouldn't put the elite on a hard kicking rifle. My dad had one of them on his BAR 338 WM. It lasted about 150-200 rounds before the internal elevation and windage adjustments were loose as heck. So much for being 1000 rd tested from a 375 H&H or whatever they claim... The other one is on a 243 and seems to be holding up alright...

Back