Bye bye 270 WSM, hello 280 AI!

Very much so! I got the barrel yanked off the donor action yesterday, and have been getting all my goodies from midway and cabelas. Should have it all by saturday so I can get a dummy round made up and sent to Pac-Nor next week. They said they are only four to six weeks out!

Got my dura coat in the mail as well. Going to play with it on a different rifle before I get this one all built. All I need is an airbrush, and I'll be going to town next week with the wife for a baby doc. appointment so I can get it then. I'll post a few pics of the practice gun when I get it done. Might be a while though, if my wife hasn't had Payton by next week they are inducing friday!

Man I'm excited...I'm getting a custom gun and a little girl at the same time!

jmad_81

It doesn't get any better than that!

Having two daughters myself, I can tell you that little girls are special. I have spent a lot of time with my girls and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

JD338

Congratulations! I have a daughter myself! They are a handful, but very fun having a daughter. They bring a different perspective to things. Scotty

Congratulations. You're in for a real education, howbeit, a joyous one.

My brother and I were raised by a single Dad. Just getting married was an education! Then, my first two children were girls. Hoo, boy, have I ever been educated! Wouldn't trade my education for anything.

I have to confess Ignorance in this matter, but. If someone wanted to increase velocity in a 280 (7mm) why not just buy one of the many 7mm mags? I played the almost as good game for several years but some one on this forum suggested "sell what you got and buy what you really want. It's cheaper and faster. and it's not "almost as good".
I cant believe that saving 20 percent less powder per round. (about 1 cent) will make up for hundreds of dollars of custom work that will produce a caliber that is "almost as good" as what you seek.
IMO!
Just for calarification: I have wasted more money on scopes and calibers that I didn't need than should be allowed so!!! If you like it, DO IT! :grin:
Just please don't try to justify it :wink:

Greg I'm doing this gun how I want and because I want to, simple as that... There are a handfull of guns out there that will do the same thing and would cost less (hell there was five 7 mags for under $500 at the pawn shop that I bought the donor action from). If my 270 WSM would of shot how I wanted to I would have never of sold it. I have been planning on building several different custom guns over the years and they have never happened. Now I am getting to build one myself, that means much more to me than paying somebody else to do it.

FYI I debated on building a 7 mag or a 280 AI for about a month, Ask JD338 or Remingtonman, spent alot of time on the phone talking to several people about it that have owned both.

The only person that I have to try to justify it to is my wife. She's all for it, so I'm building me a fine rifle.

To each their own...

One of the nice attributes to the 280ai is not having a belted case and it's unique. Some people like red cars and some like green cars. I like 280ai's and blue trucks. :grin:

i like blue trucks too!!!

IMG_0201.jpg

Back