Cabin Fever

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
A balmy 13 degrees here this morning. We've had colder mornings than that lately. Snow and ice on the ground. I have so many rifles and loads I'm itching to try out or work on. Patience on some things is never fully reached no matter how much older you are. Ha. Next wk is forecasted to hit in the 40's a couple of days, if it does that without wind I'll be igniting off some powder.

I did get my rings for the 03 Springfield I had rebored to a Whelen. Got Leupold rings at a higher height than the rings that were on it, to allow for better bolt clearance to the scope. Also the front ring is now an extension ring so I could move the scope to the rear a little farther. All set up and for now I mounted the Nikon 3-9 that was on 1 of the 7600 rifles I picked up a while back. Sitting on ready, just waiting on better weather for some initial testing!

We have had quite the temperature variance over the last couple of months. Yesterday it was minus 32C with a 30K wind and now today the temp right now is minus 2C but the wind has picked and we are getting some freezing rain.
I have 3 rifles that I would like to do some range work with but just not able to get a day that is right:unsure:.

Blessings,
Dan

A balmy 13 degrees here this morning. We've had colder mornings than that lately. Snow and ice on the ground. I have so many rifles and loads I'm itching to try out or work on. Patience on some things is never fully reached no matter how much older you are. Ha. Next wk is forecasted to hit in the 40's a couple of days, if it does that without wind I'll be igniting off some powder.

I did get my rings for the 03 Springfield I had rebored to a Whelen. Got Leupold rings at a higher height than the rings that were on it, to allow for better bolt clearance to the scope. Also the front ring is now an extension ring so I could move the scope to the rear a little farther. All set up and for now I mounted the Nikon 3-9 that was on 1 of the 7600 rifles I picked up a while back. Sitting on ready, just waiting on better weather for some initial testing!
Hey Shade, what are you going to test first in the Whelen? Curious minds want to know, lol. Dan.

Hey Shade, what are you going to test first in the Whelen? Curious minds want to know, lol. Dan.
All I have is a box of 180 Speer's, a box of Sierra 200 RN, and Rem 200 RN CL's. None of those short bullets are a real good fit for the Whelen case or chamber. I checked the 180 Speer, it's .140 out the neck when loaded out to the cannelure, and .500 off the lands. o_O Can make them work I'm sure, but kind of a mismatch.

I called a guy tonight and he thinks he may have some 200 Barnes bullets and some 250 Hornady's. If he does I'll forego the 35 Rem style bullets and start off with something that fits it better.

All I have is a box of 180 Speer's, a box of Sierra 200 RN, and Rem 200 RN CL's. None of those short bullets are a real good fit for the Whelen case or chamber. I checked the 180 Speer, it's .140 out the neck when loaded out to the cannelure, and .500 off the lands. o_O Can make them work I'm sure, but kind of a mismatch.

I called a guy tonight and he thinks he may have some 200 Barnes bullets and some 250 Hornady's. If he does I'll forego the 35 Rem style bullets and start off with something that fits it better.
I shot up a partial box of Sierra 200gr RN with IMR4895 just to play around with my Whelen. They didn't group too bad and provided fun and entertainment, lol. Dan.

Back