Caliber and Barrel

I don't want a .340 Bee.
I've never said I did.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince":fo4fmezy said:
I don't want a .340 Bee.
I've never said I did.

I think he was referring to your initial desire to go with the longer barrel to up the velocity...

I'm excited for you....I think you'll love the M48....but then, I've never held one in my hands either...just took a leap of faith.

True, I was wanting to drive the velocity up a bit.
I just think I'll try to make things work without getting too long. Went with the 24" plus a muzzle brake because of the handling characteristics. The muzzle brake will be added to that.

Vince":2o4fwyxs said:
I just think I'll try to make things work without getting too long..

A smart decision in my opinion...24" with a high BC .338 bullet will get you a loooong ways.

A quick check of the numbers shows that 225 grain AccuBond at 2,850 fps will retain enough velocity to reliably expand out to 700 yards, at 1,500 ft. above sea level....at 6,000 feet and above (elk country)...it will be an 800 yard hammer (1,800+ fps and 1,640 ft. lbs).

Thats a pretty decent range...

Just a thought Vince, I wasn't trying to push you in any direction. With any of the .338 calibers, if you want more velocity, you usually have to go to a larger case.

True.
I like the .338 Win Mag a bunch and while I may want a little more speed at times I don't think the trade off of good controlabilty versus recoil is worth leaving the beloved .338 Win Mag.

Vince":2gsnlnr8 said:
Krieger Barrels and thinking of going with a Sendero contour with flutes.

the kreiger senduro is I thinkheavier than a senduro barrel, got a 30" kreiger senduro fluted on my 6.5 gibbs and its heavier than a lilja #8 contour
also the cut rifled kreiger will be a bit slower and run higher pressures with the same load as a button rifled barrel, but the shoot amazing!!
RR

Ridge_Runner":31f91xwv said:
Vince":31f91xwv said:
Krieger Barrels and thinking of going with a Sendero contour with flutes.

the kreiger senduro is I thinkheavier than a senduro barrel, got a 30" kreiger senduro fluted on my 6.5 gibbs and its heavier than a lilja #8 contour
also the cut rifled kreiger will be a bit slower and run higher pressures with the same load as a button rifled barrel, but the shoot amazing!!
RR
Decided to put the Model 70 in the safe and ordered a Nosler rifle in. 338 Win Mag.

Back