Caliber and Bullet Questions For First Yukon Hunt

I wouldn't fret the petals blowing off myself. Nowadays the mono bullet makers are building their bullets to get the front ends to expand and fragment. That heavy of bone is tough on any bullet, and a one shot kill on a bull like that is testament to how well that bullet worked. The big flat slightly expanded meplat on the remaining shank is still doing alot of damage as it continues to penetrate as well.

Awesome bull and congrats on the hunt. It looks incredible!

Wow! Nice shooting, and congrats on the terrific bull.

I agree with Scotty and I'm not surprised that the expanding petals broke off going through the bone. They may well have remained attached if you hadn't hit bone - but... I like the idea of taking out that big bone and dropping him. Nicely done.

Regards, Guy

Congrats on your moose.

As stated above, the bullet worked, because the moose was cleanly killed.
Do not fret the retained weight. It expanded and it penetrated; as it was designed to do.
Most of the weight retention and perfectly expanded bullets come from tests conducted in gelatin or water jugs, and have NOT hit bone! This results in less than perfect mushrooms and pictures; neither of which you can eat!
More importantly, you had a good experience with your rifle and load, and placed the bullet accurately for a quick, clean kill, and were able to experience a great adventure that you will recall for years to come.

What about the rest of the adventure?
Did you see the grizzly, black bear and wolf?
Did you see the caribou?
Opportunities at any of these?
How was your outfitter and guides?
What was the most memorable moment of your hunt? Did you get a pic?

I used a single 140 gr. Nosler AccuBond in my 280 AI for my Arctic Grizzly bear in 2019. I love the AccuBond and the Partition as well and either would work for you in both of the cartridges you listed. I would take the rifle that I shot best shooting the bullet mentioned that it likes best. Have a great trip and best of luck to you.

Losing those petals kept that bullet from stopping in that shoulder. Exactly as it was designed to do. Moose shoulders are a tough task for any bullet and it was hitting pretty fast. I’d say that was a win. Very nice bull. I would have recommended that bullet/cartridge combo for your hunt, it was a great choice.

As stated by others, the TTSX worked perfectly. The moose you took is a beautiful specimen of the Yukon variety. He will provide you with many great memories each time you enjoy a meal that he provided.

congrats on your moose. i wish i had your weather i was out at the same time as you (local hunter) and no snow at all we had +14c most of the 7 days ...

Hello everybody, I just joined the forum and this is my very first post so I apologize in advance if it is long winded.
I have been hunting whitetail deer my whole life and will be going on my very first large game adventure hunt this September when I will be doing a float plane hunt in the Yukon. As this is my first hunt of this type I don’t have any personal experience to fall back on regarding best overall caliber and bullet to use.
For this multi species hunt I will have tags for moose, grizzly, mountain caribou, black bear and wolf. Shots at moose will be 200 yards or less, shots on grizzly will be 100 yards or less, shots on caribou, wolf and black bear can be out to 400 yards. The grizzly are mountain grizzly and not costal brown bears so a large boar would be in the range of a 600-700 pound animal.
I am struggling and probably overthinking what caliber and load to bring on this hunt.

I have a Weatherby Mark V in 300 Weatherby magnum. I have Weatherby factory loads shooting 180 grain Accubonds at 3,250 fps and I have handloads shooting 200 grain Accubonds at 3,000 fps.
I also have a Weatherby Mark V in 340 Weatherby magnum. I have Nosler factory loads shooting 300 grain Accubonds at 2,540 fps and handloads shooting 250 grain Accubonds at 2,850 fps.

I am looking for some advice from the forum members on two questions. Should I be comfortable that the Accubonds are tough enough for this hunt or should I be using a Partition or Swift A Frame? If the Accubonds are a good choice which of the calibers and bullet weights listed above are the best choice for this combination hunt?

I appreciate everybody’s advice!

Regards

Don
Live up here 300 win and 338 Win Mag are very popular the WBY’s are few.
180 NP in 300 WM and 225gr NP in 338 WM

We need to work on this young man's story telling👍😁 it is a great bull would love to know about the Grizz charging into the caribou and pushing the whole herd over the ridge kinda thing.
From the description unless there was a road in the bottom of that draw, they spent the rest of the hunt getting him out of there.

Congratsamundo!!!
That’s an awesome bull. I hope I’m as fortunate when I move up there.

Vince

Back