Caliber Quest and the .270 Winchester?

BK, check this one out on GunsAmerica. Item # 987068314 Looks like a good deal at $780 and maybe the seller would consider lower.
Steven in DeLand

There are 2 Rem. Mtn. Rifles listed on GunBroker, in 280.

I did not know they were sold with DMBs.

Jim

The first rifle I ever bought was a Win M70 stainles classic in 270 Win. Had it for a few years, then "upgraded" to a 7STW for a few years, then sold them both and got a 338 WM. I had a few years there in life where bigger was better ( enter .375R, and 338 Edge). Something hit me though when I was breaking in my 270 WSM this fall. I watched it take a doe @ just over 400 yards with a plain jane 140 Hornady SP @ a not at all impressive 2900 fps. Near shoulder, heart, far shoulder and kept on trucking out the other side. I was dumbfounded :shock: . How could this little two year old doe be taken so cleanly being hit with basically a 270 winchester from so far away. :idea: Maybe my grandpa was right after all, a 270 Win will kill anything in Oregon that a guys needs it to, if the shooter does his part.

I still like my Magnums, a lot, but I have gained a new appreciation for non mags as well.

I love the .270, stepped up to one after shooting my first deer with the 30-30 and was less than impressed. Shot my second deer with that and 140 BTs and wow what a difference. Then I got hooked on speed and wanted to hit 3000 fps or better with that 140 grain bullet so I traded and that Winchester for another Winchester with a 24 inch barrel. Never killed anything with that one and ended up selling it to my nephew when I did all my hunting with muzzle loaders (kind of quit hunting for a few years too). Then I just got rifles as I could starting with a Remington BDL in 7mag but could not get it to shoot and then...................I'm actually ashamed to admit how many rifles I have owned and sold or traded and then regretted.

Corey

jmad_81":897zzy40 said:
The first rifle I ever bought was a Win M70 stainles classic in 270 Win. Had it for a few years, then "upgraded" to a 7STW for a few years, then sold them both and got a 338 WM. I had a few years there in life where bigger was better ( enter .375R, and 338 Edge). Something hit me though when I was breaking in my 270 WSM this fall. I watched it take a doe @ just over 400 yards with a plain jane 140 Hornady SP @ a not at all impressive 2900 fps. Near shoulder, heart, far shoulder and kept on trucking out the other side. I was dumbfounded :shock: . How could this little two year old doe be taken so cleanly being hit with basically a 270 winchester from so far away. :idea: Maybe my grandpa was right after all, a 270 Win will kill anything in Oregon that a guys needs it to, if the shooter does his part.

I still like my Magnums, a lot, but I have gained a new appreciation for non mags as well.

Same here, nothing I hunt couldn't be handled by the 270 Win or WSM pushing a 150 PT. It is a great combo I think. High BC and SD make for alot of performance in a great ahndling package too. Scotty

Man, I have killed mule deer, whitetail deer, and blacktail deer with a .270 for almost 50 years north to Anticosti Island and south to southern California, east from Maine to Washington west (ocean to ocean). I have shot near ones, far ones and in-between ones, all with the same load (130 Partition) and all dead from 10 yards to 425 yards and only one with (2) shots required, because I shot low.

First long shot I ever took on a deer (302yds, not long today consider some of the shots I have taken over the last fifteen years, but then it was for a young man). It was with an Interarms full mannlicher stocked rifle that was chambered in .270 Win. I loved reading O'Conner and I thought I had the best cartridge in the world when that deer hit the ground. One thing for sure, I had a good one and that 130gr bullet did it's stuff, which was also one of my first reloads I hunted with and took game. Actually would think about one today, but with my 7mm-08 pushing a 145gr bullet at 2954fps, I really don't need one but do have a soft spot for the .270 Win.

Back