Can I fire these in a 30-30?????

I think they would serve better in a 303 Brit or 7.62x39

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That might be a little over bore. If they were .309 I would say yes. If you know some one who cast and shoot lead bullets they could size them for you if they have a bullet sizer with the right die. I have a sizer but would have to buy the die and shipping would be more than what it would be worth.

you can go over .003 as per Lee.

Lees new manual has a 1 grain factor (reduced charges) for pressure depending on BHN using rifle powder.

There you go and that should be a piece of cake..... I use one of those to downsize .338 bullets to .329 for my 8 x56R steyr. It takes a little effort for me to do that.... and some Imperial sizing wax.... I would think what you're going to do is going to be a piece of cake! Thank goodness Lee fills some crazy Niche markets!

This die is only for cast bullets correct? Academic question

preacher":3bg1trs5 said:
Get you an "M" die for belling your case mouths while you are at it Pard.

don't need it with a base that's beveled.

but you will need this...
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/333820 ... oCP5rw_wcB

regular dies oversize for jacketed bullets.. but cast bullets are larger diameter which cause chambering problems, especially revolvers... and the cowboy die size to prevent neck bulging (undersize case necks).

you'll notice the bulge on the neck from oversized bullets and experience chambering problems...

but who knows it has been hit and miss but for the most part the rounds went in stiff.

FOTIS":aj1sl5rl said:
I have A LOT of these and was wondering if I can SAFELY work up a load to like 1500 fps max for plinking. Like 10 gr of Unique or so?

As is that is I have no sizing dies

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/945598 ... box-of-500

Thank you

If not where can I get the appropriate sizing die?

Ok, I went out to the shed and took a couple of measurements. First off, a .32 cast bullet should measure out at .312" minimum plus following the .002" rule of oversize for cast bullet would make the, .315". If you were shooting a .32 WS I'd say way to go but they may be too fat to use for a 30-30. I shoot my home cast bullets sized to .310" in several Winchesters and they even shoot good in a Marlin with the Microgroove rifling.
I'd check out the diameter to be sure it's actually .312" I'd also check out the inside diameter of your fired 30-30 brass.
If all is good to go, just get a Lyman "M" die .310" and use it to open the neck and bell the mouth just enough to let the bullet go in. Make a couple of dummies to insure they'll feed OK. Winchesters can be quite fussy and Marlins not so much. I have a 115 gr. bullet that will just barely feed in my Marlin but not in the winchesters. How well that bullet you have will work will depend on the O.A.L. of the cartridge.
To be perfectly honest, I don't even shoot jacketed bullets in the 30-30 anymore. Just cast, even for deer hunting. Don't use the 30-30 much for that basically due to the ranges deer are taken around here but sometimes I find a spot where it'll work. Seventeen dead deer will attest to the fact that they will work. :wink:
Paul B.

There's a chance they wouldn't even chamber...my 308 Win won't chamber anything over .309. If they chambered, then I would use them, since the fit is the most important thing when shooting cast.

I'm thinkin military chambers... they're a little loose. But that's what Lee Told me, .003 max over sized.

When I load my .357 revolver using standard dies it oversizes the case and the oversized bullet bulges the case to cause the cartridge to load stiff. So the cowboy dies don't size the cases so small.

You should be good to go with what you ordered and probably won't have to mess with the bullet lube since they are already lubed.

truck driver":348tuvmd said:
You should be good to go with what you ordered and probably won't have to mess with the bullet lube since they are already lubed.

YUP!

Back