Can i make any grain bullet work?

buckfat

Beginner
Dec 25, 2008
Newbie here, I shoot a T/C 30-06 Pro Hunter 28" barrel 1-10 twist. I am just getting into reloading. When i first got my gun I tried different factory brands and grains of bullets. My gun ended up liking 180 grain bullets the best. When i start reloading i would like to be able to shoot 150-165-168-180 grain bullets. I know accuracy has to do with length and twist. Will i be able to shoot them all with great accuracy or will the barrel like one grain over the rest?

It will depend on the accuracy you want to achieve and the range of your shots. Most guns will like a load better than some others and you may have a few that give great accuracy.

I try to find a good bullet/powder combo that will fit the bill for that gun and what I want to use it for. I don't like to have to have 1 load for this and another for that.

I would try some good bullets and powders and decide if you want it to shoot real flat or have better wind deflection if shooting long range with a higher BC bullet. Your gun will tell you what it likes best.

buckfat

Welcome to the forum and the world of reloading.

Every rifle is unique so the only way to find out what your rifle like is to try different bullets and loads. Some rifles like a variety of weights, some like certain brands of bullets and/or powders, primers etc.
Your 30-06 has a standard 1:10 twist which will handle all the weights you are interested in shooting.
Just take it one step at a time. Pick a bullet weight and style and start your load development. Once you find your load, then move on to another bullet and repeat the process.

Since your rifle likes 180 gr, that would be a great place to start.

Tell us what loading equipment and components you have and we will help you get started.

JD338

My list of components:

*RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit
*Lee Collet Neck Sizer Die 30-06 Springfield
*Redding Competition Seater Die 30-06 Springfield
*Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator 110 Volt
*RCBS Trim Pro Manual Case Trimmer Kit
* Nosler, Lyman,Barnes,and Hornady books

Oh yeah i am loading for hunting for different size game and range. I will be loading for my son as well. We both shoot 30-06. I have been on a lot of forums and talked to a lot of people, taking in a lot of info but you learn new stuff everyday!

buckfat

You have excellent equipment that will produce some very good loads.

What components do you have? Brass? Primers?

I would suggest starting here-

180 gr BT, this is a proven accurate bullet and we can start a bench mark

IMR4350 and RL 22 would be two good powders to start with

JD338

Well i have not ordered any brass,bullets,primers yet. Of course i am going to start with the 180 nosler bt and want to try the e-tip 180 as well. I see that people use Wlr,federal 210, cci 200 for different loads. I understand that different powders burn faster or slower. I have been printing out a lot of charts and starting my reload folder along with my books. Want to learn a lot before i press my first round. Think since my barrel is 28" i should go with a slower burning powder? RIGHT?Could use some advice on the primers and powder starting out with the 180 grain bullet. Also i have been keeping all my brass seperate that i shoot from my T/C and my sons rifle from factory loads. I want to reuse the brass since it is fire formed. JD338 i have some more questions ,do you mind if i send you a private message or do you want me to ask them here?

You are on the right track !
i can not even tell you how many 06s I have loaded for.
IMR-4350 and RL-19 are great powders for all bullet weights.
RL-22 is very good with 180 grainers.
The 180 grain balistic tip is an excelent choice for all around hunting with your long barrel.
I loaded that bullet for a frend to shoot deer with his 300 win. he loved it.
I wanted to switch to acubonds for elk and he said no way I like that green tip bullet real well.
He killed I think 4 elk with that bullet and swears by it. He said he never had to track a single elk once he shot it with that green tip buulet.
I am partial to 165s for the most part,
ya know.
All of the bullet weights work well for there purpose from the 06.
Great caliber. enjoy.
...tj3006

These are all proven loads that shoot very well in almost every bolt or single shot 30-06 I have run into.
All use Remington cases and CCI-BR2 primers.

125 Nos. BT or Sierra. Hodgdon Varget 53.1 grs.

150 gr Nos. BT or Sierra. IMR 4064 51.2 grs.

165 Nos. BT or Sierra. IMR 4064 47.9 grs.

180 gr Nos BT or Sierra. IMR 4350 56.0 grs.

You will have to find the seating depth your rifle likes best but I have found that most will shoot pretty good at 10 thousands off the lands.

I noticed a couple of things missing from your list of equipment that you should get. First is you will eventually need a FL size die. After a few firings the shoulders on your cases will need to be bumped back some. The second and third thing I would get is a Lyman inside the case de-burring tool and a Lyman primer pocket uniforming tool. Why Lyman you may ask? Because they are about the cheapest and they work. The use of these tools on cases have brought me much more accuracy than anything else you can do to a case.

I have other smaller components,just did not list them. K&M neck turner, primer pocket cleaner,etc. Thanks for the loadsthough. Keep them coming.

As previously stated when I had my 30-06 I ran a 180 at 2700 fps for Everything! Nothing that load can no do.

165 would be my choice for 1 universal load in the 06. Gives up very little energy compared to 180 and gives up little speed of the 150. Right there in the middle where it belongs just like that Shanandoah song.

Back