Can I resize 300 RUM brass to 338 RUM

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
Up here in Canada, we're having a hard time getting brass for the 338 RUM. I'm wondering if there would be any adverse effects from necking up 300 RUM and pushing the shoulder back that .02" or whatever it is??

I realize that it'll be stamped wrong with the challenges that poses, but I really don't want to go with a 338 EDGE because I like being able I buy loaded ammo in a pinch. Although, 338 rum ammonia pretty rare too, so mate a guy would be better off with te Edge anyway.

Has anyone else tried this??

I would probably go to the edge myself but I don’t see why you couldn’t form the 338 RUM brass from 300 as long as you bump the shoulder back, and trim.

You can do it and trim but you will probably have thicker necks where the old shoulder was. They should really be neck turned.

The neck turning is a bit of a nuisance, but I was surprised in the past how much some factory brass varied on neck thickness anyway. I have seen 308 win cases where the cutter barely took any metal off on side of the neck and yet took a thou off the other side.

Back