Can I use these powders interchangeably?

tnarb

Beginner
Nov 1, 2016
Can I use H4831SC and H-4831 load data interchangeably? It wasn't until later I discover d what the SC stands for. I have one recipe from the Nosler Book,and one from the Hodgden Page. Unfortunately neither one lists both powders.

Yep, you can use the data interchangeably. I'd treat it no different then just changing lot #'s of the same powder.

Maybe the extreme limit, where the H4831 is compressed, and the SC is not... maybe there would be a pressure difference at that point. Otherwise, if you find data for one, you can use it for the other.

NWBlacktail":ih531xx2 said:
Maybe the extreme limit, where the H4831 is compressed, and the SC is not... maybe there would be a pressure difference at that point. Otherwise, if you find data for one, you can use it for the other.

I like this one!

Jim

NWBlacktail":ml105437 said:
Yep, you can use the data interchangeably. I'd treat it no different then just changing lot #'s of the same powder.

Sounds typical that people don't do the homework...

Short cut meters easier in powder measures. It's the same powders.

https://www.hodgdon.com/extreme.html

slickrem":ij7pcwxw said:
NWBlacktail":ij7pcwxw said:

Yep and when you are brand new to reloading, and staring at a smart phone at a gun store trying to figure it.......But thanks for the comment, I'm glad not everyone is like that. I didn't know if there might be a difference in pressure since I found 2 different recipes with the same bullet, one with each powder. That's what I was confirming to make sure I wasn't missing something. You have a great day.

slickrem":3kgy1upi said:
NWBlacktail":3kgy1upi said:

Way to make someone feel like posting here is a positive experience.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, et_miller_87. Most people are pretty good around here, though you may have to use the blocking function on a few individuals. There seems to be a snake in every garden, even in Eden. Generally, folk around here aren't looking to promote what passes for expansive knowledge at the expense of others, though there are exceptions from time-to-time. Most of those posting enjoy the shooting sports and seek to advance the abilities of others. Trust you'll hang around and join in the fun. Again, welcome aboard.

Hey drmike, you're right, promoting it isn't a good idea, though I think it's pretty clear what my true intentions were. I don't mean to stir the pot, I just can't stand when someone makes an ignorant comment such as he did. I will be sticking around, hopefully for awhile. Thanks for the welcome!

Glad to have both et_miller_87 and tnarb joining us. Hope you stick with us and you will see most folks here are helpful.

DrMike":114ts2q4 said:
Welcome aboard, et_miller_87. Most people are pretty good around here, though you may have to use the blocking function on a few individuals. There seems to be a snake in every garden, even in Eden. Generally, folk around here aren't looking to promote what passes for expansive knowledge at the expense of others, though there are exceptions from time-to-time. Most of those posting enjoy the shooting sports and seek to advance the abilities of others.

I agree Dr. Mike. (y) He doubted that Partitions was a good bullet for tough game in my last post. :mrgreen:

All bs aside, I'm pretty stoked to find a new forum to chat in. Like to hear new stories of hunting and shooting!

et_miller_87":2atsw3bv said:
All bs aside, I'm pretty stoked to find a new forum to chat in. Like to hear new stories of hunting and shooting!

Welcome aboard.
With H4831 you can fill case more than H4831SC for larger cases for better fill, but both have same burn rate. Smaller cases work well with H4831SC when H4831 tend to overfill.

Welcome to the forum et and tnarb.
Good folks here.

Be careful about drinking coke when the good Dr posts though. :lol:

Honestly, I was just cruisin through seeing what the post was about for info. I don't even use that powder. Typically I use the imr 4064 or 4166 in my rifle loads.

Thanks for the welcome though fellas. Not to thread jack!

et_miller_87":1jys7mme said:

This forum isn't the most active forum on the net, but it is the best in terms of quality and good people. Keep coming back!

Wow, sorry I had been gone for a while and didn't realize I said something so technically incorrect (not sure what that was though). But I apologize for anything that is not correct.

I'll try to limit my responses next time. :oops:

NWBlacktail":36wojdrb said:
Wow, sorry I had been gone for a while and didn't realize I said something so technically incorrect (not sure what that was though). But I apologize for anything that is not correct.

I think what you said was fine man. I know what I thought was rude was the commment about no research and assuming. Your answer I thought was spot on from what I remember.

et_miller_87":193vzfyd said:
NWBlacktail":193vzfyd said:

I think what you said was fine man. I know what I thought was rude was the commment about no research and assuming. Your answer I thought was spot on from what I remember.

^^^ This

Back