Canadian Border

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
Just got off the phone with the Canadian Border Service Agency. šŸ™

It seems that even if I apply for a license to transport a restricted weapon, handgun with a 6ā€ barrel, on my move through Canada to Alaska they will gladly accept my license application and money but then deny my license.

My rifles, bolt and lever action, are OK to transport but even though I know I couldnā€™t bring a 4ā€ or less handgun barrel through you would think they would allow longer barrel handguns through for those moving to Alaska. Maybe the United States could purchase a swath of land from Canada to connect Alaska with the lower 48?

Iā€™m starting to get a real sense of the difficulty of moving to the land of the northern lights.

Vince

PS: Where there is a will there is a way. Looks like Iā€™ll be shipping them. Looks like Iā€™ll have to take up reloading again when I get to Alaska as the ammo shortage is really bad according to the guy I talked with.

Last edited:
USPS will most likely be your cheapest shipping option. UPS and FedEx can be quite ridiculous. (Prepare yourself for a lot of shipping rates to be ridiculous)
I would recommend buying any reloading components you can and traveling with them if that's your plan. Retailers will not ship powder and primers here. Powder is returning slowly to the shelve. I have not seen primers for sale at a retail location locally but once in the last 3 years. Factory ammo is returning nicely to the shelves I've noticed though I haven't looked real close except for a couple certain things for friends.

Been doing a little more research and it looks like maybe I can do the ferry option. Iā€™ll research it more in the morning when I get off work.

I really appreciate all the information and advice.

Vince

I donā€™t believe you can ship handguns through the USPS.

Vince, no disrespect meant when I write this. If the cost of the ferry ticket is make or break for a move to Alaska, you are likely going to be unpleasantly shocked when you get here.
Seems like everything in Alaska is expensive. That's just the way it is, but yes, brace for it.

Also Vince, I wonder if there are restrictions on bringing animals through Canada? I seem to have a vague recollection of some kind of restriction... Proof of vaccination status or something?

Guy

The ferry is not make or break I just prefer to drive or fly. Iā€™m also frugal to a fault. Most folks spend money on houses, cars, and clothing. I tend to put my money elsewhere.

I think my solution is to put my Jeep on a barge and then the dog and I fly to Alaska. The vehicle can take my guns, bullets, kitchen utensils and other various assorted paraphernalia. I donā€™t move anywhere without my cast iron and spatula. Nor my crockpot.

Folks werenā€™t joking when they said moving to Alaska is like moving to another country. For me the biggest difficulty is Canada and what they allow to be brought into their country.

Doing the numbers the ferry is cheaper than I thought. Doing the barge and flying in will run me what the ferry with a cabin will cost. I was planning on sleeping on the deck. For me to ship by barge and fly will be a break even deal for me. Iā€™m still heading to Alaska.

Another reason to use the barge is that the ferry system will still force me to drive through Canada so thatā€™s a no go. They have nothing this year that goes to western Alaska because they donā€™t have an ocean capable vessel this year. I guess itā€™s down for maintenance. Either that or it sunk and theyā€™re waiting on the insurance check. šŸ¤£

I cry poor a lot because I donā€™t like to pay full price and will go out of my way to save $0.01. I mustā€™ve been Scottish in a former life. No offense to my Scottish compatriots.

Vince

Last edited:
USPS wonā€™t ship handguns or any ammo. UPS and Fedex might still let you ship ammo , or are planning on taking all your ammo with you.
Iā€™m taking all my ammo.
My Jeep is going to look like a low rider by the time I load all my ammunition. I guess I better practice my Cheech Marin accent.
ā€œBorn in East L A.ā€ šŸ¤£

Vince

You might check with Northland shipping in Seattle. We shipped a container every year out to King Salmon, obviously you donā€™t need that but they do have smaller crates or totes. Not sure what they call them. Use to see new guides heading north using those to get all their personal gear up there. Looked like they were about 4foot square and not quite that deep. There is a tariff system in place, different rates for house hold goods vs construction supplies. They charge you by the pound. We would get to king Salmon and find they had unloaded the container, had our stuff in the warehouse , so I quit worrying about it. Never lost a thing. Never shipped any powder or primers. No idea what current regulations are about shipping a long gun or ammo to yourself on the barge, worth checking on. I mailed some long guns home last year USPS and that was fine. Pistols came home in Checked baggage. Two years ago the limit on ammo was generous on Alaska air.
Many years we also shipped a vehicle or boat up, they would weigh the boat and trailer but we were charged by the length, width and height. Didnā€™t matter how much stuff we packed into the boat. A small cargo trailer might solve all your shipping issues.
good luck.

Last edited:
If it's not too many guns I'd fly with them rather than ship them in a Jeep. Better to have them with you then chancing them with someone else IMO. It cost a bit but it will cost to ship them FFL to FFL as well if you choose that option.

"UPS and Fedex might still let you ship ammo , or are planning on taking all your ammo with you."

I just closed a deal with a friend for 200 bullets, 6 Magazines for the .30 Carbine and 200 rounds of ammo. Neither UPS of FEDEX would allow himg to ship th ammo. Whether it was his local hub or a new policy is something I don't know. I ended up with everything but the ammo.
Paul B.

Back