Cases not "sized enough"....now what?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
OK, I should know better, but since I have never been shy about showing off how dumb I can be, and maybe this will help some one out. Here's the scenario: Last fall I loaded up a box of 20 rounds, with a new bullet, just because I wanted to burn them up. The brass was from a "strange rifle" and must have been larger chamber than my rifle in some dimension. My sizing die may have been out of adjustment and I did not try all the cases before I loaded them. Any way, the 20 rounds that I have will barely fit in my rifle- really tight. so how do I fix this problem safely? Is pulling the bullets, powder and the decapping pin to "re-size" them the only way? Thanks - and be kind to the idiot. CL

Since the brass was from an unknown rifle, it is always best to full length resize, Troy. I'd say you need to pull the bullets, dump the powder, pull the decapping pin and resize, ensuring that the shoulder is bumped. That should remedy your problem. Do check for case length, just so you know the case neck is not being squeezed.

What caliber? If in one of a "family" of cartridges, you could use a larger bore family member with the decapper spindle removed to bump the shoulder a bit and see if they chamber properly or at least well enough to expend.

DrMike":15nt5kv1 said:
Since the brass was from an unknown rifle, it is always best to full length resize, Troy. I'd say you need to pull the bullets, dump the powder, pull the decapping pin and resize, ensuring that the shoulder is bumped. That should remedy your problem. Do check for case length, just so you know the case neck is not being squeezed.

This.
Although I'd save the powder....always expensive and often difficult to obtain in the UK...whatever brand the propellant is.

ET is correct. I do recover my powder and reuse it if at all possible. If it is an unknown, then I do dump it on the flowers. If it is a known powder and hasn't been contaminated, I do use it when I recharge the cases.

Troy,

Bump the shoulder back and try chambering the resized brass.
Should take care of things.

JD338

This is what I like about having a quite a few redding body dies... you can actually resize and bump the shoulder back on loaded ammo. If you don't have one you're pretty much screwed.... and we'll have to pull them down... just be glad it wasn't 100 rounds LOL.

DrMike":2yrg50tf said:

Yup - probably this. I ran them through my sizer but did not double check that the sized brass would fit my rifle. Die may have been moved out of adjustment. CL

Gunner46":2vx9g3e9 said:
If you can close the bolt on them then why not just shoot 'em ?

Gunner- had that thought, but is REALL hard to close. and had brass transfer onto back of bolt. Also, at least that hard to open. That seems weird but Im not about to take un-necessary chances. Would rather pull the bullets and throw them away than that. CL

Make sure your locking lugs are well lubed and shoot them. After firing the brass will conform to your chamber and the bolt will be easier to open.
Billy

So...its too cold up here to reload yet. :roll: or really spend much time at the range so ive been doing some thinkin' :? . Specifically re: the question above. So I think my question has been answered but I have never had a problem with sharing my "mistakes on this board if I think it will help some one else out. To recap- the loads below were loaded with brass shot in another rifle. My mistake- when I resized them I was experimenting with neck sizing and the cases being fired in a different chamber, did not fit(VERY tight to close the bolt) in my rifle.

Note- the "ring" around the necks of the cases where my "neck sizing" stopped. In the fired cases the powder ring stops right at the "rings". Is that significant, indicative of an error?
Maybe that's from a misadjusted crimp? I wasn't trying to crimp these cases.

Also - my photos of the primers don't do it justice. Any one want to venture if the indicate signs of excessive pressure?

It looks like the ring is where your die sized the neck, not a crimp. I bet these are hard to chamber in your rifle because you have a tighter necked chamber than the rifle they were fired in last. The way the carbon marked your fired cases only where they had been resized would make me think the unsized portion was tight enough in the chamber to seal against the gasses. The primers don't look that bad.

After firing, did they extract easier?

If you're not single loading and jamming the bullet into the lands I prefer complete sizing the neck for magazine feeding.
Billy

ksubuck":6xydefex said:
It looks like the ring is where your die sized the neck, not a crimp. I bet these are hard to chamber in your rifle because you have a tighter necked chamber than the rifle they were fired in last. The way the carbon marked your fired cases only where they had been resized would make me think the unsized portion was tight enough in the chamber to seal against the gasses. The primers don't look that bad.

After firing, did they extract easier?

KS_ didn't really open any easier, as I recall. I was kinda looking for that. Figured they would from to my chamber and all would be good. Didn't really feel that way. Debating whether to pull them apart or fire them as is. Safety risk?

On an unrelated note. These were once fired cases, but maybe from a looong time ago. Check out the price tag. :shock: Thanks for the thoughts. CL

Well- tore the above rounds apart last night and full length resized them. OH MY Goodness....you would not believe the effort some of them took to get into the sizing die. :shock: :? . Stupid me I know better than to play with brass from a strange rifle. No way would some of that stuff have even chambered I'll bet. Bad part is, really worked that brass over. Any way all rounds chamber now with just a little effort.
The three rounds I did fire initially were nothing notable in the accuracy department, so while I was at it I reduced the charge to 36 gr. of 4350. Maybe that will help. Never could get those darn speers to shoot. Wrong brand I suppose :lol: We'll see if that helps. More later. Thanks for the help. CL

Fwiw... I have a Savage law enforcement series 308 with a pretty tight chamber. I have some other 308 that aren't so tight but are normal Factory rifles. Brass from those other guns still will not go into that Savage after a full length resizing with either RCBS or my redding body die. Luckily I have a set of Hornady full-length dies which are very aggressive and I've always known they downsize things quite a bit..... those dies do get the job done for me. personally I've seen .0 0 0 5 inches lock up a rifle good and tight trying to chamber a round. It sure doesn't take much.

Maybe a twist or two of green scotchbright.
I do that sometimes to clean up any chance of a burr.

Rocketvapor":1z0bj1yy said:
Maybe a twist or two of green scotchbright.
I do that sometimes to clean up any chance of a burr.

Could be...all rounds chamber now, after FULL length sizing in my RCBS dies. I had visions of busting off a case in the die or some other such "not so fun" experience. Happened to my Dad when he tried to resize (accidentally) a 7mmSTW in a standard 7 Mag set of dies. That does not work! CL

CL, are you using enough lubricant? When I full length resize, I make sure that I have more than adequate. I find my .308 as one of my easier cartridges to size.

Back