Cast bullet fun with my .375H&H

duckcreekdick

Beginner
Jul 26, 2012
For some medium-bore fun without the usual recoil punishment, you might try loading up some 264 gr. cast bullets from the Lyman 2660449 mold, along with 28 gr. of XMP5744. In my 70's vintage Winchester Model 70 accuracy is decent with iron sights and that heavy bullet hits my iron swinger with good authority. The bullet is cast from wheelweights, sized to .378, gas-checked and lubed with Alox. So take out that .375H&H from the back of your gun safe and give it a good workout with cast bullets.

Do you have any pics of what they look like? Bullet casting sounds cool, one day I'll have to give it a whirl in both the 35 Whelen and 375 Ruger.

That sounds fun and interesting. I want to try some mild handloads with cast and jacketed bullets from my .375 one of these days...

My pet cast bullet load for my Ruger #1 tropical is 49.0 gr. of IMR or H 4895 and the RCBS #37-250-FN. just about any brass is fine, Winchester standard primers and a tuft of Dacron lightly tamped against the powder to hold it next to the primer. I've never chronographed the load but I estimat around 2000 FPS give or take. Recoil is about the 30-06 level and the load is accurate. Nice thing about cast in a single loader is you don't necessarily have to crimp the bullet so case life is a bit longer. I've been using the same 20 cases for these loads now and haven't lost one yet. Usually neck size for four loadings then anneal and do a full length resize and start the pattern all over again. Bullets are sized to .378".
Paul B.

Back