Cast Performance 260gr WFNGC for the .44

KinleyWater

Handloader
Jun 15, 2019
All,

I'm looking to see if anyone has any experience with the Cast Performance 260 grain WFNGC in 44 Magnum. Anything will help, but I am specifically looking for load data, if you are willing to share, accuracy, and terminal performance info. I am not exceptionally adept at searching the internet, but I can find precious little about this little pill.

I DO have an email in to the manufacturer to ask about load data, but from the website, it looks like it may take quite some time for a reply, and phone calls are explicitly frowned on.

I have 200 and looking to use it in a 4 inch Smith for backup on black bear. On the other hand, if it manages to soak up five rounds of 35 Whelen, maybe I should just worry about not pissing it off more...:p

I have BlueDot and Win296, and WLP (which I understand will work for either powder).

Thank you all so much in advance.

*EDIT* One more thing. In trying to research this topic, I've read postings on quite a few other forums. I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for not only the depth of knowledge here, but how freely and respectfully it is shared. For that, I thank you all as well.

I load that bullet in my 44 mag. When it comes to cast bullets I don’t see any reason to run them much over 1100-1200 fps. There is a real point of diminishing returns after 1000fps.

I’ve been loading them with 9.0gr of tightgroup. It’s a pretty mild load but it will penetrate like crazy.

I run a very similar bullet made with a mold made by Accurate. I've shot them out of two different .44 Mag pistols using 2400 and H110. I prefer the 2400 since it has a lower muzzle blast in my opinion. They've been used on whitetails and coyotes. We've never had one stop even on quartering shots on the deer.

Bear,
Thanks. I don't have Tightgroup, but understanding better what velocities to run them at will be a big help.

Jim,
I don't see any reason why I couldn't use 265 grain cast as a starting point; please follow up, if you can. Appreciated.

Nanny,
Since my understanding is that H110 and Win296 are essentially the same, this is good info to have. With a 4 inch barrel, blast is certainly something to think about; might push me to using the BlueDot I have on hand, if I can find a good load for it. Thank you.

yes , the WLP primer will work for this . it is good for standard and magnum loads , or powders that call for a mag primer .

I thought I had 265 , it's 255 . here is what I have .

P5080294.JPG

a close up of the 255 info

P5080293.JPG

I have used 22.5 grains of W296 with that bullet and found it shot well in my Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk with a 5 1/2" barrel. I have since moved up to the 310 grain bullet for a little more punch. I had a hard time finding load data for the 260 grain bullet. I found load data for a 265 grain bullet and went with that. I never had a problem with the load.

Jim, thanks for following up. If I'm not mistaken, that's from the Lyman manual.

CEG - Is this your first post on the forums? Welcome! Oh, and thank you.

"I don't see any reason why I couldn't use 265 grain cast as a starting point; please follow up, if you can. Appreciated."

There shouldn't be any problem. They're close enough in weight. Just start around mid level loads and work up to the max for your gun.
Paul B.

All,

I'm looking to see if anyone has any experience with the Cast Performance 260 grain WFNGC in 44 Magnum. Anything will help, but I am specifically looking for load data, if you are willing to share, accuracy, and terminal performance info. I am not exceptionally adept at searching the internet, but I can find precious little about this little pill.

I DO have an email in to the manufacturer to ask about load data, but from the website, it looks like it may take quite some time for a reply, and phone calls are explicitly frowned on.

I have 200 and looking to use it in a 4 inch Smith for backup on black bear. On the other hand, if it manages to soak up five rounds of 35 Whelen, maybe I should just worry about not pissing it off more...:p

I have BlueDot and Win296, and WLP (which I understand will work for either powder).

Thank you all so much in advance.

*EDIT* One more thing. In trying to research this topic, I've read postings on quite a few other forums. I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for not only the depth of knowledge here, but how freely and respectfully it is shared. For that, I thank you all as well.
I believe the 255 kieth with a gas check is same or similar at 260 grains in weight blue dot is spectacular but only close to max loads it not one to perform well at starting loads
. Vehit n110 is very accurate with less blast than 296 or h110 but the Hodgdon powders are faster velocity by a marginal amount
another powder to consider is longshot with a GC BULLET
I had some spectacular results in 44 special cases with 240 swcgc.
the most important thing to remember is without that gas check h110 lil gun 296 & longshot are very flame happy powders & can produce ton of leading even below magical 1100 fps
blue dot & N110 are both magnum powders without feeling all the magnum blast …and I personally think it helps in the woods when teeth & claws are involved
I loaded 300 grain xtp bullets with N110 at 1150 fps 16.5 gran…and expected them to rip my head off but was pleasantly surprised …stiff but very pleasant to shoot considering the thump they provided
the comparison 260 kieth cg. With 22.5 of 296 @1275 we’re extremely stout and hard to tolerate blast &recoil although I think the kieth will penetrate much beter I carried the exp load …
as always your results may vary

I believe the 255 kieth with a gas check is same or similar at 260 grains in weight blue dot is spectacular but only close to max loads it not one to perform well at starting loads
Thank you. I think I will be loading today and had decided on Blue Dot. I don't want to post exact loads, since everyone's situation is different, but it is good to know about loading near the upper limit.

Have you used any of the cast loads on game? I'm fully confident, but was curious about experiences.

Again, thank you.

Thank you. I think I will be loading today and had decided on Blue Dot. I don't want to post exact loads, since everyone's situation is different, but it is good to know about loading near the upper limit.

Have you used any of the cast loads on game? I'm fully confident, but was curious about experiences.

Again, thank you.
Coyote but they get shot with whatever I have
I test all handgun loads & bullets on green fresh cut Douglas fir rounds…I shoot into the end then split logs to measure the penetration
it’s how I ended up loading Hornady XTP on damn near every caliber I shoot
but expansions is the key to XTP and stout tough bullets
my buddy shot a cougar with rim rocks 160 grain kieth bullet out of 3” 357 mag 5 shot lightweight…
quarting to him slightly he took it right behind front shoulder
in rib section 1 lung blasted bullet travelEd
all the way to rear hip socket long ways but didn’t exit
flipped him over backwards part way never moved
bullet broke 2 ribs logged in socket with tons of damage
all the way to the hind quarter
taxidermist said it was impressive impact!
must have been spectacular to see in person…lol

** Update -

Anyone know a good way of getting a fair amount of lead out of a barrel?
Shot a few jacketed through after my session, and that helped, but it still needs work... And I thought those cast performance "are known to not lead your bore and feature a specialized lube allowing bullets to be shot at high velocities." *sigh*

Anyway, for the actual update: I put 40 rounds through my 4 inch S&W M69 "COMBAT MAGNUM!!!!!!" (felt like I needed to add the caps and exclamatory punctuation) and got fair standing offhand groups at ~25 yards (about 4-5 inches), using a Burris dot and not being overly careful. The load I settled on is ***This is NOT a recommendation*** 16 grains Blue Dot, CCI 300 primers, mixed brass, and of course, the Cast Performance 260gn WFNGC. COAL was 1.626 with a medium-heavy crimp, and I did load one up to 16.5 grains, but I doubt I will do that for the final load.

Bullets punched very clean, round holes in the paper, and flung wads of grass a nice distance on impact. Recoil was stout; much moreso than I had expected, and much more than the factory 240 loads (Fiocci) I fired afterwards. Each one went boom (a rather satisfying sound) rather than bang, and also had a much more pronounced deeper tone than the factory stuff. I even got a couple of honest to goodness smoke rings out of it!

The Burris (not looking at it, so I can't recall which one) was a bit of a disappointment. The optic is sturdy, low profile, and has an easy to acquire dot. All of that is very good, however, it doesn't really have enough travel adjustment for windage to work well on my revolver, with my loads. Your mileage may vary, and with other loads, it might do very well.

Back