Chargemaster 1500 RCBS

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
My old system gave it up ! Do any of you have the 1500 and what is your opinion? Is there a better system ? Thanks

No better automated system under $400 that I know of. The Chargemaster Lite I think does a comparable job, just a lower maximum scale weight. My 1500 with a few modifications throws good charges with good accuracy. I use a Gempro 250 to verify weights along with a Layman M5.

Long story short, mine had some static issues which were pretty well cured with a battery / surge protector along with an Area 419 paten and cup. Generally it will hold + or - 0.04 grains when checked on the Gempro 250.

Some shooters like a dedicated scale for about $500 (usually an A&D 120 which goes on sale periodically for under $500) which they then use with a Lee powder dispenser or dipper and a tickler. Scales at that price can be very precise and the Lee stuff isn't bad functionally or price wise.

Their are "better" systems when you get into the $800+ range. Such as the Auto Trickler by Adam which is paired up with a A&D 120 or Satorius scale. I believe Rommel purchased an Auto Trickler system a few weeks ago. A good review is at https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/10/06 ... rovements/

I have both the Chargemaster 1500 and Lite. The 1500 is about ten years old and still going strong. I bought the Lite when I thought the 1500 was developing a problem which has cured itself so I can use one or the other as suit me.
I only use the Chargemasters for rifle loads preferring the Uniflow for handgun rounds. Both unit have run within the advertised + or - 1/10 gr.
Paul B.

PJGunner":24i272pg said:
I have both the Chargemaster 1500 and Lite. The 1500 is about ten years old and still going strong. I bought the Lite when I thought the 1500 was developing a problem which has cured itself so I can use one or the other as suit me.
I only use the Chargemasters for rifle loads preferring the Uniflow for handgun rounds. Both unit have run within the advertised + or - 1/10 gr.
Paul B.
thanks, what problem did it develop and how did it correct itself?
How does it work as a scale alone to verify thrown charges?

I have had one for several years; I'll be using it again in a few minutes.

I find that they work great. So far I've not pre-programmed it at all for repeated loads. The only modification I've done is the McDonalds straw trick to the tube. On occasion I will put some anti-static spray on a rag and wipe down the inside of the straw (Q-tip) as well as the powder bin.

I have not tried the Lite, but if it does everything you need I would have no hesitation buying that for less $.

Ihsako,

I responded to your PM, but it still shows as "outgoing" in my mailbox.

I'm using a battery backup system (which includes surge protection and acts as a line conditioner) to help with dirty power. Dirty power, as I'm using it, is when their is a lot of micro power surges or drops in voltage; but it can include such things as excessive line noise or interference from other devices (example below). Dirty power of any type can cause a lot of electronics to get confused and not read properly or hold a consistent value due to power surges and drops, this is usually seen as lights flickering and clocks running fast or slow. Florescent lights are known to cause dirty power as they cycle on and off a bunch of times a second and a lot of household wiring systems can't respond quick enough to keep the circuit that they are on at a constant power level for other devices.

With the 1500, dirty power can cause the scale to wander as well as cause the dispensing motor to run at inconsistent speeds which can result in overcharges when trickling. In my case, the battery backup system acts as a power line conditioner, in that it provides a constant voltage while constantly recharging. The constant current settled the scale down so that it doesn't wander between uses or even during its use. Others with similar problems to me have used ferrite chokes or different power adapters to fix their units - I went battery backup to do being out in the boonies and losing power randomly.

A specific example of dirty power being the byproduct of a device. When I had my 1500, Gempro 250 and a LED light all plugged into an extension cord and they were turned on, the Gempro 250 and 1500 go crazy. They wouldn't hold zero and would wander as far as I let them go - 63+ grains on the Gempro is as far as I've allowed it. If I turned the LED light off, everything would return to normal on the scales.

The other issue I ran into was static buildup on the plastic platen, I got tired of using anti-static wipes so I've ended up using a metal platen which fixed that issue and it is almost always within + or - 0.06 grains and usually within + or - 0.04 grains (for stick and ball powder) of my intended dispense weight. Which is amazing to me for a scale that is advertised as being accurate to + or - 0.1 grains.

lhsako":1k9a5onh said:
PJGunner":1k9a5onh said:
Paul B.
thanks, what problem did it develop and how did it correct itself?
How does it work as a scale alone to verify thrown charges?

It started throwing erratic charges. Try removing static with no help there. I'd read where fluorescent light can cause trouble so I removed those and replaced them with LED light fixtures Seems to have cured the problem. I'll be monitoring it closely for a while. Funny thing it it worked just fine under those lights for 10 years and now all of a sudden go screwy???? Quien sabe?
Paul B.

I've got the Chargemaster Light and have been pleased with the performance.

JD338

Awesome machine. Nothing even close for the price

Back