cheap scope torture test

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Just got done zeroing my truck gun this weekend. Only needed 3 shots on paper, still dead on.
Spent the next 40 rounds making gravel out of cinder blocks practicing my rapid target aquisition as this is my brush rifle.

Put a cheap scope on this one to see what would happen to it on the most punishing rifle I have before I put one on a good rifle. Rifle is a chop-shop mosin Nagant M44 carbine I picked up at a garage sale with the scope mounting and bolt handle conversion partially complete. I own several thousand rounds of various flavors of cheap surplus ammo courteousy of the defunct Warsaw Pact's side of the cold war arms race. This rifle spends most of the year rattling around in my pickup and I pull it out quite often in the backcountry for some casual rockbreaking. Have probably fired over 500 rounds since last deer season.

Scope is a $60 Barska "Euro" model with a 30mm tube 1.5-4X. Reticle is a nice heavy plex similar to a German 4A which is very apropriate for this rifle's application. Adjustments are consistent. Scope is pretty well put together overall. I was half expecting it to come apart after a few hundred rounds or at least switch zero but after a lot of punishment, it just soldiers on. Who would have thunk it? Guess I'll keep using it.

Back