cleaner/rust preventitive test

onesonek

Handloader
Apr 4, 2008
If something like this has been covered here,,,sorry for the redundency.

I did a test against BreakFree CLP, which is supposedly a very good prevenitive.
This steel bar was thuroughly cleaned in degreaser. Then treated in 1/3's with BF/CLP, Hoppes, and Ezzox. With a gap the width of a Q-Tip between.

CLP on the left, Hoppes in the middle, and Eezox on the right.
100_4371.jpg

Immersed in a saltwater bath, 3x that of sea water.
100_4376.jpg

after 24 hrs.
100_4376.jpg

48 hrs.
100_4383.jpg

72 hrs.
100_4384.jpg

Notice what logically seems the Eezox crept to fill the void between it and the Hoppes.
Hoppes did pretty good, but was starting it fail.
CLP isn't what I thought it to be. Hard telling how long Ezzox witll stand up.
But Ezzox has my vote for both preserving and cleaning as well.
Boeshield is reported to be excellent fro preserving/rust preventive, but cost more according to my calulations I don't have any on hand, or otherwise I would include it. But it also don't have the cleaning action as well, that Ezzox has.

Cool test Dave.. That is great information for sure. Pretty harsh test as well. Never heard of Ezzox..

Pretty dramatic results. Looks as if CLP may not be all that the hype would suggest.

Here's some more info Scotty,,,,
http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html
I became dealer as well (after the test :mrgreen: ), and can maybe beat those prices by a little.
But that wasn't my purpose for posting such!
I just wanted to share the results of a darn good product!!!

DrMike":3k456vt1 said:
Pretty dramatic results. Looks as if CLP may not be all that the hype would suggest.

I used CLP for a number of years Mike,,due to the hype.
But notice some tiny rust spot on some of my stnls barrels that don't see a lot of use.
After this test, every gun was thuroughly cleaned inside and out.
One"s that I thought were clean (with CLP), suprised me what came out with the Ezzox.

It looks good. Might have to try it. I have been using Gunzilla as my gun oil for awhile. It works for both the black powder and smokeless powder guns, and seems to work okay. Always willing to try other stuff though..

When compared to oils,,this stuff dries, and don't collect dust/dirt.
Plus it is still a dry lubricant.

I will have to try some on my HK out here. If there is any place it collects dust, it would be here!

Can you Marines use whatever C/L/P you want? I just read an article that said Magpul magazines were no longer allowed for some Army units (even though they are issued to Rangers).

BK":2j7viwcv said:
Can you Marines use whatever C/L/P you want? I just read an article that said Magpul magazines were no longer allowed for some Army units (even though they are issued to Rangers).

I think the majority of us use what we have. Most of our weapons systems are cleaned non stop, so we would burn through a small bottle very fast, so it wouldn't be cost effective for most to buy their own lube. While CLP isn't the absolute best out there, with a light application, it works okay with other preventative measures to keep the rifles grit free. The HK's we are using really don't require much of anything to be honest, they will run and run with little maintenance.

Never heard of the Magpul deal? I am running the HK mags and regularly issued aluminum mags. Never had any real drama with either as long as they are maintained. I think the Magpuls are good as well, but I couldn't tell you why the regular Army would not allow them?

I bought a quart for myself, as it was the most cost effective within my budget at the time. The first thurough cleaning takes more than suceediing cleanings, by all reports. I did go through about 4 ounces pretty quick cleaning everything. I haven't used it long enough to know the full extent of how it works in the long run however.
But from those I know using for few years say, (that while it has no build up), after 3-4 shooting/cleaning sessions, confirm that it seems to condition the bore where following take much less, and clean much much quickier. They say a couple wet patches (4-5 drops) with a few minute soak between, a few dry, another wet, couple more dry followed by a very light coat patch (1-2 drops), then let dry (don't take long if not overly applied), is all it takes. No brushing needed, with the exception of the first cleaning possibily (just to speed things up somewhat). But I would naturally think, bore quality will be a factor in all aspects.
Normally I don't do the bore until accuracy falls off, but when I do I'm pretty anal about getting it clean. As stated eariler, I was suprised what I got out of previously thought clean bores. I just haven't had the shooting in yet to give it the full confirmation of those reports. Although I have no reason to doubt these guys either. If so, that quart will last me a very very long time, and eliminate the Wipeout, BBS, and Hoppes and BF-CLP that I normally use sucessively..
That will make it far more cost effective yet again, and a time saver as well.
In smaller amounts, iirc, I figured the 7oz. aerosol can, to be the next cost effective, although it just takes more care to avoid waste. It don't take much on a 6x6 terrycloth for an external wipedown either, of which is where the aerosol is a bit better for application on the cloth imo.
I do transfer enough out of the quart into a flip top drip bottle I have for patches. It just makes things easier. But if not airtite, it is best to pour the unused back into the can as it will evaporate.
I found that out when leaving some in that flip spout drip bottle.
I thought about adding that evaporated reduction to some cast boolit lube, just to see :lol: ,,,,, I still might.
All in all, a quart plus 1-2 7oz. aerosol cans will last a very long time by my estimate.
Scotty and his bud's, could probabally use a gallon plus a case of of 7 ouncer's,,,, :lol:
But then once applied, the action would only need an air can to blow it out with only an occasional treatment.

I would like to give it a whirl I think. It is always nice to get a product that makes cleaning a little easier! Can't hurt nothing that is for sure.

SJB358":h7ka0tku said:
I would like to give it a whirl I think. It is always nice to get a product that makes cleaning a little easier! Can't hurt nothing that is for sure.

All I can say Scotty, is I wish I hadn't contemplated so long in using it, since I first heard about a couple years ago. I'm convinced it would have saved me many many patches and likewise on hours.

I haven't as of yet Scotty,,,,,not sure what cost/restrictions are on liquids or aerosols..
PM me if you can't call, and we'll see if we can't figure something out.

onesonek":1mgm2osf said:
I haven't as of yet Scotty,,,,,not sure what cost/restrictions are on liquids or aerosols..
PM me if you can't call, and we'll see if we can't figure something out.

PM inbound

BK":2xi9whf7 said:
SJB358":2xi9whf7 said:
Never heard of the Magpul deal? I am running the HK mags and regularly issued aluminum mags. Never had any real drama with either as long as they are maintained. I think the Magpuls are good as well, but I couldn't tell you why the regular Army would not allow them?

http://kitup.military.com/2012/05/army- ... pmags.html

I see alot of the mags around here, but I don't see alot of conventional Army folks using them, so you are probably right Kurt. I haven't used them that much, but they get good reviews. I like the HK mags to be perfectly honest. Never had a bad mag since 2003 when I started using them and the springs are about as good as I have ever used. They don't seem to soften over time.

No big deal Scotty, on shipping APO AE. It just may be inspected 3 times b4 it gets to you.

Back