COAL for .300 Win Mag

jbrbro

Beginner
Dec 29, 2004
I was wondering if there was a safety reason behind not recomending spitzers loaded to the saami maximum length in a .300 Win Mag? A couple of friends and I are just getting started reloading and one has an older Savage 110 that will not allow much beyond 3.34 for a cartridge length. He wanted to use the spitzers for the velocity retention but now is unsure if he should try something else if he's going to be stuck with a flat tip anyways. Will he have a bullet to deep into the case if we seat the 180 spitzer to 3.34-3.36?

I load 300 winmag for a Tikka T3.
I load to magazine length,3.34-3.36".I have loaded 180gr Accubonds with 100%+ capacity slow powder loads.I use a drop tube,then tap the brass to settle the powder and I got the bullets to seat with minimal powder crunching.
I have loaded other manufactures spitzer bullets {lower BC} in this weight without any powder crunching. You should'nt give up the bullet type to stick to 3.34" COL.

What I think your refering to, is bullet retension. Years ago when Winchester came out with the 300WM the case length was a bit longer compared to the standard short mags at that time which were the 7mm Rem. Mag, 338 Win. Mag. and the 458.Win.Mag. As a result of the longer case some bullets had to be seated quite deeply to conform to SAMMI lengths. When that happened some of the bullets at that time seated to those lengths had the beginnings of the ogive down in the case neck which resulted in neck tension not being adequate. When put in a magazine and had several shells fired before it the bullet would in effect be slide back in the case because of lack of neck tension. Nosler solved that problem with their 180 Par. PT and I believe Speer did the same with their Mag. Tip. Hope that helps a little bit. Most .30 Cal. bullets these days work fine in the 300WM. Good Luck and Good Shooting :lol:

I'm loading for a CZ550 african in 300WinMag this action allows an OAL of 3.535 (almost the same as a 375H&H)with the 200gr Partition and AccuBond accuracy has been outstanding and velocity's are just under 300 Weatherby loads

the CZ action is Cavernous as it is made for the 416Rigby and larger cal's
it's also Very Heavy (helps soak up recoil tho)

I'm not finding the "Short neck" to be a problem in this rifle

Thanks everyone for the advice. Hopefully we can get out to the range and test some of these loads soon.

Back