Colorado Big Game Hunting

owenv

Beginner
Jun 24, 2007
FYI application deadline is today. I put in for first rifle unit 61, this will be my 11 point if I do not get it.

Some Units are tough to get into with allocations for Non-Residence being very limited.
Good luck this season.

Don

Owen -

Good luck on 61 - impressive area for both deer and elk. If I remember correctly ( which most cases I don't ) you might be on the bubble for drawing?

My buddy and I have a few more years, but have intentions of that area for archery elk.

Last year it took 15 points for a bull elk tag in the first season (nonresident). Second and third seasons required 13 points.

I hope you put in for a second choice somewhere fun. CW

A buddy called me a few years ago and asked if I would "show them around" after his wife drew a tag for the second season......... opening she was on plenty of bulls, one very close to 400 pts.
Another 360-370 class bull @ less than 300 yards and she would not shoot it because she missed the bigger bull the day before. I covered a lot of country that weekend, pushing elk that were doing everything they could to accommodate her. It is a GREAT unit, fun to hunt... only thing is I like to hunt to much to wait my turn for unit 61... this is my backyard plenty of other places to go. CW

Good luck on the draw! I put in for a unit 66 2nd rifle deer tag and another elk pp and a cow tag for my second choice.

I should hear if I was successful in drawing a Colorado Muley Buck Tag in a few weeks. Anxious to hear. Saw a lot of deer and Buck in the area we hunted last year. Never forget the wall hanger I saw while holding just a Cow Elk Tag he was massive, had to be 32-35" wide, tall with lots of points, just unbelievable. Figure on packing in and tenting it this year. Just itching to try the 300 Ultra with 180 Accubonds on a Mac Daddy Buck. :mrgreen:

Don

Good Luck Owen
There are sure some big critters in Colorado and what a beautiful place to be hunting. 8)
Greg

The wife drew a bear tag this year......... should be fun!
I put in for elk tags for my Wife, my Son, the oldest Daughter, my oldest Grand daughter, and myself of course. Can't wait till 5/31/11 when the draw results are posted. CW

Will the draw results be posted on the DOW website? Usually, I just find out when the license arrive in the mail but I'm not home and if there is a way to find out sooner online, that would be great!

Also, does anybody know when leftover licenses willl be available to purchase online?

YoteSmoker":3q5by4x0 said:
Will the draw results be posted on the DOW website? Usually, I just find out when the license arrive in the mail but I'm not home and if there is a way to find out sooner online, that would be great!

Also, does anybody know when leftover licenses willl be available to purchase online?

Here is the DOW link for draw results.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/apps/database/#form

Well the 2012 hunting aps are due in early April; with two Granddaughters, my Daughter, me Son, the Wife, and my Dad to take hunting, I think I will be out there all four seasons and a late season.
Oh darn. CW

Well I didn't get a tag for 61 last year but my brother in-law did along with of his relatives. If this isn't a once in a life time pose...........

donelk1.jpg

Did they leave any bulls? :grin: Great picture of some happy hunters.

DrMike":3mf8a6iy said:
Did they leave any bulls? :grin: Great picture of some happy hunters.

They got to pick and choose with the exception of my brother in-law, he shot the first bull he saw, about 5 miles from the trail in the middle of dark timber. It took us two days to pack him out. We should of just ate him on the spot.

Excellent results. I've hunted several units in my time hunting Colorado, never hunted Unit 61. Always heard it was a good Unit to Hunt.
I've hunted some crazy terrain myself. One time hunting near Gunnison Colorado we were going in 10-miles into wilderness, packing in with horses, there was 16" of snow on the ground and it continued to snow that day and into the next. The next day I told the party members I had thoughts of crossing this boulder field near Camp, to hunt an area where I saw some Elk with a Bull nearby. They all told me if you do get one down just take the Knife and Fork and eat him right there. The deep snow covered Boulder Field proved we couldn't cross over without risking injury to the Horses.

Don

NICE!
My wife should draw a 61 bull tag this year... she has already picked a spot on the wall. CW

I've hunted out of Delta, Colorado in unit 62 which borders 61 and did some scouting fairly close to the Unit 61 border. I saw a couple of elk that were outsized including a bull that made my mouth water. Unit 61 gives you the possibility of bagging a real trophy animal.

Back