Competition shooting for the average guy. what,where, how?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
I have always wanted to shoot some form of organized high power competition. All Ive got (or am likely to have) is a .25 cal Mauser that will drop the right load of 75 grn V-maxs' in a half inch all day long provided I dont get the barrel too hot. Topped with a 3-9 Bushnell. Is there a type of shoooting or league a mere mortal with meger means can get involved in? Aside from shooting my Crossman, anyway. Thanks CL

Just found the thread on F-class matches. Looks like a place to start? CL

CL - I think F-class is one of the easiest ways for a guy to get into some kind of competition. All you really need is to put that .257 of yours on a bipod, get some sort of shooting mat (an old blanket works) and load some good ammo that will hold a decent group at range.

Lots of fun, a good challenge and simple compared to standard highpower competition where ya pretty much have to have a shooting jacket, spotting scope etc...

Later, Guy

If you will check around most states have 600 yard bench rest matches for factory class rifles. When age or health problems catches up with you will find its easier to shoot from the bench than belly crawling. I know it is for me, i think hard work all my life ( i was an Electrical Lineman for over 30 years) and being 62 years old may have something to do with it.

6ppcar - Aren't there .22 rimfire benchrest matches too? Seems I read an article on that stuff over on 6mmBR once...

I know there's .22 rimfire position shooting - but it's NOT inexpensive. Anshutz rifles, leather shooting jackets, spotting scopes etc...

A .22 sure lets a fellow do a lot more shooting for the same amount of cash.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":1pxctjd6 said:
6ppcar - Aren't there .22 rimfire benchrest matches too? Seems I read an article on that stuff over on 6mmBR once...

I know there's .22 rimfire position shooting - but it's NOT inexpensive. Anshutz rifles, leather shooting jackets, spotting scopes etc...

A .22 sure lets a fellow do a lot more shooting for the same amount of cash.

Regards, Guy

Yes, there are a lot of rimfire matches all over the country. Everything from bench , standing and prone. Its just as expensive as center fire if you want to be competitive. Been there and done that, Benchrest Center fire an .22 rimfire Benchrest. Ive been out of the game for a few years but i am thinking about getting back in Center Fire. Anyone interested in Benchrest can go Benchrest Central an get all the info. For center fire check out the NBRSA and the IBS. For Rimfire take a look at the ARA, IR 50-50 and the RBA.

Thanks for all the replys guys. Living in self imposed exile in the Minneapolis/ St Paul MN area kinda limits the options. May have to look into a different Gun Club as mine maxes out at 87 yds. Bench would be good as dragging my butt up from the ground to the wheelchair is somthing I reserve for serious hunting!! :lol: thanks again. CL

CL,

I lived in the Twin Cities for 10 yrs. belonged to the Dakota Gun club (Rosemont/Apple Valley) range was out to 300yds there. There is the Fairbuilt club that is into Hi Power and goes out to 5-600yds. Then there is the Minnetonka Rifle Club/benchrest up near Rogers/Elk River. I believe they have NBRSA affiliation. And then the Grandaddy the MN Rifle/Revolver club up at Harris which has just about everything including 1K shooting..

I left the area in 01. Plenty of shooting opportunities, just be willing to drive. If interested, a good budd is on the board at that Dakota Club... Let me know if I can be of more help..

Rod

NODAK- thanks for the tips. Minnetonka is too much $$ for my blood. Minnetonka is limited membership. Elk River sportsmans is 100 bucks a year last time I checked and you need a sponsor guess thats my next bet. All else failing I go back to "Gods country" (SoDak :) ) and take her out to the north place sfter a 'yote. Thanks again for the heads up.

Any body out ther know about shoots in Oklahoma? I live in the north west part of OK, we have lots of flat land. should be a range out here some where. Any help would be great Thanks. Tim

Nosleronly204,

I spent some time in OK and did some comp shooting... You have the Red Castle Club and Range in Tulsa with Hi power, F-Class, Palma, etc and all other diciplines.. In the OKC area, I visited a BR club & range up in Edmond and shot service rifle matches in El Reno.. Theres more for sure, but never shot em...

Do a gun club, rifle range in OK search on google and I am pretty sure you'll come up with these places and more..

Rod

There's a nice range at Mooreland OK. They have 20 or 30 concrete benches, can't remember, I've shot several benchrest matches there, i know its 200 yard range an maybe farther.

Back