Counting My Blessings

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I am counting my blessings today. Once again, I have cheated the grim reaper. This is at least the fourth time, as an adult, I have survived a potentially disastrous medical condition.

I survived a heart attack on July 4th due to the timely and appropriate actions of family, friends, and the medical personnel of two hospitals.

Within minutes of my arrival, the emergency room staff of the Soldiers and Sailors hospital in Penn Yan, New York, stabilized my heart and stopped the pain. The doctor arranged for transport to the University of Rochester Medical Center (Strong Memorial Hospital). Within hours of arrival (Wednesday morning) in Rochester I was on the operating table. By 4:00 PM I was back in my hospital bed with two stents in one artery (the one nick named "the widow maker"). Yesterday afternoon I was released from the hospital and sent home. Today, I feel fine.

I have nothing but praise for the staff members of both hospitals (and the ambulance crew). They moved with amazing speed and precision. I am truly amazed.

I don't understand why I am so lucky to have survived severe intestinal issues, kidney cancer, bladder cancer, and a heart attack. Others, who are better people than me, have not been so lucky.

So today I am counting my blessings. The price and availability of reloading components are the "small stuff" not worth worrying about. Not drawing a hunting license for Montana is more "small stuff."

The important stuff was the support of friends and family for me and my wife during the past few days. The important stuff was waking up at home this morning. The important stuff was taking a walk through the woods with my wife this morning. Funny, but my list of important stuff does NOT include things. It includes people, relationships, and time with friends.

Life is good. Friends are great. Blessed am I!

Dan

Dan,
We are very thankful for you that you are in good health and able to maintain the upper hand.
You and Tina are in our thoughts and prayers.

JD338

Back