Coyote Calling

Bruce Mc

Handloader
Oct 26, 2005
Made it out to New Mexico for some coyote calling this week hunting in the Lincoln National Forest. This fur ball came into a western kingbird sound and the #1 220 Swift put him down. I hit him facing with a 50 gr Speer soft point hitting him center chest with no exit. The weather's been excellent, cold with some snow, but calling coyotes in the canyons is challenging but enjoyable. 20220123_180937.jpg

That had to have been great fun for you. The dog looks fat and in good shape. I really like your picture.(y)

Excellent! It's nice to see a Number One getting used as intended. They're fine hunting rifles. :)

Guy

Congrats Bruce. Very nice rig you have for predator hunting. Are you using a FoxPro call?

JD338

A Fox Pro inferno. For this trip I downloaded some bird sounds. In the past the coyotes in this area are hesitant in coming to rabbit sounds. Hunting canyons, when they hang up, you won't get a shot. They come in good to birds. Sounds for local birds seems to work best. The first call, the coyote tackled my Caller and tore the birdie off the decoy.

Excellent! It's nice to see a Number One getting used as intended. They're fine hunting rifles. :)

Guy
Guy, number ones aren't that easy to shoot bug hole groups off a bench because of the hammer time, but they are sure good field rifles. Even with a 26" barrel they're easy to move about and with the heavy barrel it sure settles into the shooting stix sitting and waiting for the call to do its work.

Great shooting; Not a very big target once the fur comes off. Looks like a good size coyote.
I'll have to try some bird calls, that's a great tip; Cuz like every other place once they get wise to the game they hold up or just disappear into the brush and relocate to the next county.

You are correct IMHO, Good use for a very nice classic rifle and round, and a good looking dog. Must have been fun! CL

Back