Coyotes and Wolves and the Loss of Popularity

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Austin Hill has a good commentary on the President's loss of popularity with the American public. He contends, with some degree of credibility, I believe, that the failure to address Idaho's concern with grey wolves is a symptom of why the present administration is falling out of favour with the American public. The commentary is certainly worth a read.

http://townhall.com/columnists/AustinHill/2010/09/05/obama,_senators,_coyotes_and_wolves

Its only a matter of time before this blows up. If the Democraps retain their power after the Nov. elections, I think there will be a lot of preditor hunting.

JD338

I hope Americans take back what is theirs! We as Americans need to get smart and get back to basics. I was always taught, brilliance in the basics! I sure hope we can regain what is great about our country. I would do some time down on the border, just to "lend" a hand! Scotty

On transplanted wolves, big cats any predator that has declined.

Many in DC figure that because it used to be their natural range they should be re introduced in numbers, many areas the lack of them has made the local wildlife population lax to their presences.

To them in DC, NYC and DC used to have Buffalo, large bear and cougar, I do believe that at least 5000 of each should be put in NYC and DC and see if they like it when a 2000 lb buff bull runs through the halls of congress or the UN if it's still okay to meddle with the natural sway of mother nature.

To the good folks of Idaho, Michigan and other re introduction states.

SSS :twisted:

You guys should like this, but in our local paper in Missoula was an article with the Gov. of Idaho and the wolf situation. He has flat out told the Federal Wildlife agency that they will not manage the wolves any longer. They are not getting federal money to do so, and the money is coming out of funds that should be used to assist in the management of all animals and not just game animals. Remember when we as sportsman started taxing ourselves on our gear and other items besides the amounts we were paying for tag fee's to help Fish & Game Departments manage our natural rescources. Called the Robertson/PIttman act. It is a fact that sportsmen have called for season limits on certain animals so their populations can bounce back after several bad winters or whatever the case is. Many sportsmen also use their money, talents, and connections to help with things such as capturing some bighorn sheep from Wildhorse Island so they can then be transplanted to help out a population that might be struggling. There is no hunting on this island, and it has been an excellent support for a lot of sheep populations in different locations. These things are all being done by the people who truly care about wildlife and that we want these animals and their habitat around for hundreds of years for others to come after us, let alone just our own family and children. This work and the dollars does not come from these groups that are continually suing Fish and Game agency's for various reasons because they don't think there are enough wolves out there. These are the same folks who live in suburban Chicago or someplace else who have absolutely no clue as to what is happening out here.

The Governor is not going to use any more sportsmen's dollars to deal with the wolf problem. If a wolf kills a ranchers cow, it will be reported to the Federal Wildlife officer and not a state officer to take care of the investigation and the issue at hand. If a wolf is killed and may have been poached, again resources from the state Wildlife agency's is not going to be used to investigate this, and their officers will not waste their time in doing so. They are putting this all back on the Fed's. They put them here and said manage them, and then they take that ability away from the states. What sense does that make. Not only that, but emotions are leading the way to how the wolves are dealt with and not sound wildlife practices that are being recommended by people who are in the field on a daily basis and see what is happening and how adversely this is effecting not only our ungulate populations, but ranchers, outfitters, sporting goods stores, and the list goes on with folks who are suffering from this. They are managing ONE species with consiquences that are very far reaching not only to elk and deer, but many many other species of wildlife.

Folks have to start standing up and speaking and not let this continue. Start e-mailing your senators, congressmen, wildlife agency's, and anyone else you can think of and let them know how this is effecting folks who live out west and have to deal with this mess.

That is great to hear, I hope it works and local state enforcement looks the other way when wolves are killed. It is ashame we can't handle this at the state level, seems like it shouldn't be any different than managing the elk/deer/bear and such. Hopefully something decent comes from all this. Scotty

I agree with the ID governor 100% Let them get poached out of existence and let the Feds investigate it. I'm sure they will get plenty of cooperation from the ID G&F department and "witnesses" :wink:

I will agree that it is awesome to see wolves in the wild, but it is also disconcerting to encounter them at close range. When a wolf looks at you, his eyes never leave your eyes. That is utterly unlike any other animal I have ever encountered. They need to be hunted and controlled like any other predator. Since the Federal government wanted to reintroduce them, then the Governor of Idaho is correct to drop their management into the lap of those who imagine they can tamper with nature from afar and that the locals will be properly grateful for the munificence of Washington.

I grew up next to Minnesota, in SE Manitoba. Minnesota's Wolf hunting ban really put alot of strain on the ecosystem in thier state and in the bordering regions of other state's and our country as well. The state of Minesota is approximately one third the size of Manitoba or 33% of the land mass, yet the wolf population of either was nearly identical @ just over 11,000 adult timber wolves.

The wolves would range in packs of up to 15 mature adults and decimate alot of the native game species along with many domestic animals. In particular, the young wolves would be trained in mid summer by the adults and would often practice on calves. It wasn't uncommon to have 10 calves torn up and bloody, and one killed. The injured ones would either be slower growing or have to be put down due to thier injuries. They are not the effecient cunning hunters shown on Discovery channel as pups. I haven't lived there in 10 years, so I don't know what the current situation is. At the time, there were farmers that would request guys that hunted to sit on thier land and shoot the wolves and hopefully in turn limit or stop the damage to thier herds.

JT.

Back