Custom 28 Nosler being ordered....

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
My Dad has been retired for quite a few years now and has never had a custom rifle. He's talked about doing one for forever now and I finally talked him into just going for it. So he came over and I assisted him with choosing parts. He was debating heavily between the 26/28 Nosler and we went over some load data and ballistics and he ultimately chose the 28 for a bit more energy downrange as it will primarily be a hunting rifle capable of taking extremely long shots.

Rifle is being built by Greg Young of Southern Precision Rifles with the following parts:

-Defiance Deviant Hunter Long Action
-Bartlein barrel, Rem Varmint Contour with 6 straight flutes finished at 26" and threaded 5/8x24 (Nathan, I'm going to be needing a muzzle brake from you in the near future)
-McMillan Game Scout Stock finished in Woodland Spectre with 2 flush cups and 1 sling stud up front
-Wyatt's extended box and BDL style bottom metal
-Jewell HVR trigger
-Barrelled action will be cerakoted in Magpul flat dark earth
-Scope is a Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20x50 FFP M5 with TMR reticle

I'm very excited for him to get it as I think it's going to be an absolute hammer! I know the 260 he built for me is the most accurate rifle I've ever laid hands on. Wait time is 6-7 months estimated so stay tuned!

I'm building a 300wm for a buddy with almost the same components. His is a #5 Bartlein rather than a fluted Rem. Varm. and it's on a Remington action but it's the same Woodland Spectre game scout, Wyatt mag box, and Jewell trigger. I just did a 300wsm for myself with similar parts too.

Your dad should love it. Those are good components.

Those are excellent components. Have to believe this will be a first-rate product when it is complete. Congratulations to your dad. The turnaround time is very good, as well.

Nathan, what muzzle brake would you recommend for it? He wants to tame recoil as much as possible. I need to order one and ship it to the gunsmith.

Of interest is an article in the Aug. issue of Handloader Magazine. A several page endeavor about the Nosler 28, including many tested loads and comments.

A good read,

I might consider a 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist on that barrel. That would keep the door open if you wanted to try some of the really high BC bullets out there.

I went with the 1:8 twist on my 280 Ack, but more because I wanted to try the 168 grn Barns LRX (in case the state of Oregon ever decides to go lead free :roll: )

I would do a Lil Beast (.875") and have him turn it flush with the barrel. As was mentioned 1'd do a 8.5" twist too just in case he wants to run 195's.

Thanks Nathan. I'll get one ordered up for him.

Twist on the barrel is 1:8 and the 195 Berger is first on the list of bullets to try. The gunsmith is going to throat it to accommodate the 180-195 range bullets to be seated out long enough to take advantage of the full case capacity.

Back