Custom Competition vs. Ballistic Tip?

nosler06

Handloader
Nov 13, 2012
168 gr Nosler Custom Competition Vs the Ballistic Tip. The CC has a lower BC while the BT has a higher one. Just curious as to which one people find more reliable at longer ranges (in .308 of course). What is the preference for either bullet?

The CC is a target bullet with a thinner jacket than the BT. It is not advisable to use the CC on game.

DrMike":2ydrc6j3 said:
The CC is a target bullet with a thinner jacket than the BT. It is not advisable to use the CC on game.

Oh sorry my bad must have been from a bit of sleep deprivation, I did forget to mention that these would be used as long range target rounds at 500+yds. I am not sure of other places, but correct me if I am wrong Mike, but we are not allowed to use the CC for hunting here in BC.
Which one would you prefer Mike? Have you have any time shooting either?

Actually, I am unaware of any legislative proscription against using the CC for hunting. However, because of the frangible nature of the bullet, it will not perform well in that role. I have built loads in a variety of cartridges with either bullet and I have shot both at various times; either can be extremely accurate. I've built several loads with the Custom Competition, and they have always provided exceptional accuracy (think 0.1 MOA). The Ballistic Tip has also given fine performance when punching paper. I can't say that I would prefer one over the other. However, if I were strictly punching paper or ringing gongs, I'd likely load up the Custom Competition. If I thought I'd be hunting, I'd surely load the Ballistic Tip.

I've shot enough 155 & 168 grain Nosler & Sierra competition bullets to wear out a few .308 Win barrels.

They're excellent at 600 yards. Also, can usually buy them in bulk for considerably less than I end up paying for high quality hunting bullets like the Ballistic Tip.

FWIW, Guy

Watch shooters proshop for overruns or blems and stock up...they'll most likely run $16-19 per hundred!

Back