Custom MGM barrel or a savage

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
Hey all-I am wanting to add to my 260 rem collection. Should i have a custom MGM barrel made or get me one of these new savages? Give some pros and cons for each. I live just up the road from MGM customs. I see advantages of the custom-barrel length, twist, control etc. just don't know if a single shot is the way to go. give your your thoughts please and thanks
randy

Savage make some very accurate rifles. If you went with a Savage barrel, you would be on your way.
The real question is what level of performance are you looking for?

JD338

JD338,
the custom would be for the encore-of course that is a single shot and i have heard good and bad about the encores. I have never had a savage and have heard they really shoot out of the box. I want a gun that will shoot MOA. I have a rem model 7 right now that will shoot 120 TTSX under a dime, i also really like to shoot the 129 SST and the 130 AB. This will be a hunting gun for me and kids. thanks

If you are just looking for MOA there are a lot of good options.
Savage
Tikka
Weatherby Vanguard.

Just to name a few.

You don't really need custom unless you are looking for half that or less.

What stinks is that there are not many offers in the 260 rem. The model 7, savage thats about it anymore. I want something with atleast a 22" tube or longer. I would love a gun that will shoot sub moa. My 270 WSM and model 7 will do it. thanks for the replys all. keep the comments coming

Dont know if it helps but encores need to have a trigger job done to them. The accutrigger is very adjustable and absolutely pleasant to shoot.

Tikka's are also chambering the 260 Rem so I think that is another great option. You don't really hear of Tikka's not shooting well. Scotty

My local shop just got in the Savage 10 Predator Hunter Max 1 in .260 Rem......must resist.....must resist

I have 4 Savages, the only one not well under MOA is a 110 .270 Win that shoots factory 150's into 1"-1.25" groups with a Leupold m8 4x.

The Predator Hunter Max 1 is the one I would pick, it's probably the one I am going to pick. :mrgreen:

That Pred Max in 260 is a hard one to resist. I like wood and blued metal, but the utility in a rifle like that is hard to argue with! Scotty

Do you think the Predator would be a pain to pack around. What to you think the wieght would be topped of with a scope? I was thinking around 9.5 lbs. I really like the looks of that one. Every predator has shot like a pro from what i hear, man too many choices. If i could get an encore to shoot like Yotesmokers-wow what a group. I also called beretta usa and the fellow there told me that the 260 rem was not available in the USA. maybe he was not up to speed. thats another option if they out there. too many choices. thanks guys for all the comments.
rm

Yotesmoker, My encore pro hunter in .243 shoots groups just like that right out of the box. I've been able to put alot of trust in the accuracy of stock t/c's.

I hear ya Trav, the same barrel also spits a 1/4" group with the TTSX bullets. Only difference is that it likes Varget vs IMR4350.

Back