CZ 527 223 Carbine and Partitions for deer?

bcraig

Beginner
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,this is my first post here and my question is this
I have a CZ 527 223 Carbine with a 18.5 inch barrel and 1 in 12 twist and I am wanting to use it for deer hunting at ranges of 150 yards and less. I am thinking about using the Federal premium load with the Partition bullet and wondering about others experiences with this bullet and or the Federal Ammunition .Wonder if the 60 grain Partion will stabilize out of the Carbines 1 in 12 twist barrel ?
Thanks
Craig

I'll be interested in the replies you get on this. I've had to shoot quite a few injured mule deer with a .223 AR-15 over the years. The issue rifle is a 16" version, 1:9 twist, and for the past few years we've been using Federal ammo with a 55 grain bonded bullet. It works very well.

It's always sad to shoot one of these injured creatures. Often they've been hit by cars, sometimes run by dogs, sometimes tangled up in wire fences.

Some of them are very badly injured and can't even move. Others have a leg dangling, and are still surprisingly mobile. Took me quite a hike to catch up with one injured deer.

I've made quite a few head shots - that's a sure-thing kill if the brain is hit. I've also punched some through the lungs and/or heart. Don't normally see an exit with the .223 and either bonded or standard soft points.

The .45 with hollow points though, that often exits.

I've never hunted deer with the .223, it's not legal here in Washington, but from what I've seen, it will certainly work. Personally I'm very comfortable with the next rung up the ladder, the .243/6mm cartridges.

Regards, Guy

I personally don't use the .223 for deer hunting but I have severals close friends who use the Federal ammunitions with the 60gr Partition shooting from various AR platforms. This combo seem to have become a fa\vorite around my neck of the woods for youngsters. The adjustable stock on the AR along with the pistol grip make it a very easy rifle for youngsters to handle. I know of one 200 pound buck that was downed with a behind the shoulder shot with that round. It ran about fifty yards. Another friends son shot three deer on a control unti with that combo and all were DRTs. All shots were shoulder shots. Another pal, uses that ammo in a Varmint barrel AR to shoot wild hogs. So I'd say if you have a notion to hunt deer with that ammo, pick your shots and get after it.

your intentions and distance sound conducive to clean kills. i have used 55g ballistic tips and 53g barnes bullets on deer and having shot them where they lived none went past the fifty yard mark. placement is key obviously but paramount when using a 224 cal bullet regardless of weight or speed in my opinion. I have more faith in a guy who is comfortable and competent with a 60 grain bullet than a guy who is afraid of the gun firing a 180 grain bullet.

I think you are on the right track with shot distance and bullet choice. I think it will be enough under very good conditions if your rifle shoots them well. With that combo I'd be extremely picky about shot placement and angle so the bullet doesn't have to penetrate much before reaching vitals. Only good broadside shots, no angled shots. If you aren't willing to wait for that opportunity I'd choose something larger. What size deer are you shooting, small bodied southern deer or larger northern deer?

Not a big fan of using 22 on big game. Maybe because my state disallows it.
If I were to use it though you're definitively on the right track.

Thanks for the input. I have killed a lot of deer in my 52 years so if I have to pass on a bad or too far shot so be it,heck all the fun is gone when you have to start skinning ,gutting cutting up ,soaking ,packaging and labeling anyway!I handgun hunted exclusively for over 10 years Made my own bows and arrows out of hickory and killed deer and a little small game,killed em with all sorts of calibers. I have never been that interested in shotguns so i have never killed one with them.

I did shoot it with a leupold 2.5 x scope with thick crosshairs mounted and shooting of my truck hood at 100 and 150 yards the rifle three 3 shot groups of 1.85 or less and believe it or not did the same at 150 yards .
Think I have found my lightweight ,lightweight recoil rifle.

Craig

Back