Dealing with predatory animals

Great pictures, SC. Yeah, you've been there; and that means something even in this jaded age.

Grizzlies that I see always seem to be moving. It's amazing watching them work the Salmon runs, but they get maybe two good months out of that.
I really need to get a good camera, get some pics before the fish show up. It's amazing how skinny they are, then almost over night their bellies are almost dragging the ground.
Guy, your bear guide, Joey lives across the river from us, about 1/2 mile up.IMG_0453.JPG. That ridge in the pic, to the left, starts up beyond his place. Last year watch a cow and calf moose come running down the ridge and start across the basin. Then we saw the bear, an 8 footer like yours. It was running hard. Every one in camp knew what was happening. Most started yelling "run run" one woman started crying. Imagine an F16 overtaking a WWII fighter plane, or a Jr. High running back getting crushed by an NFL linebacker. Pretty dramatic. I bet the bear was going 25mph when he hit the calf. I have pictures of that bear over the summer, he was huge. Must have been efficient. Also saw a couple of bears that must have had bad parents. On the rare occasions we saw them catch a fish everyone cheered.
I think overall they must work pretty hard at finding a meal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is hard for those who have no understanding of nature to see carnivores and/or omnivores killing a herbivore in order to feed. People who live with wild animals see this and understand. I've seen grown women (and a few men (metrosexuals?)) turn their heads and groan when NatGeo Wild shows a lion killing a zebra or a pack of wild dogs take down a water buck or a crocodile take a gnu.

IMHO the biggest predator is the animal rights activist and the feminist groups. They have literally killed our sealing business, banned grizzly hunts in B.C., purposely mis stated Polar Bear numbers, even Caribou hunting is now banned in some areas, ----it is not pretty, and using pepper spray would not be legal

Too add to Dr Mike.s post above, I have seen visitors to the north who are unaccustomed to watching a pack of wolves take down animals, burst into tears and ask why we dont shoot the wolves

Salmonchaser, tell me more about your favorite handgun, and the loads in it, that you use when pepper spray dont work thank you sir

Last time I checked, wolves will take down other animals and eat them. Bears are certainly opportunistic predators. Lions will assuredly kill and eat deer and livestock when they can. I've discovered (oh, the horror) that squirrels will eat other squirrels! Now, that is outrageous!

Ive had Coyotes howling/ barking on either side of me at dusk/dark. They were probably both within 200 yards but unseen. I suspect they winded me and when I howled they decided to give eachother the warning. Gave me goose bumps for half an hour. Lions and bears- no thanks! CL

cloverleaf":2da4y45t said:
Ive had Coyotes howling/ barking on either side of me at dusk/dark. They were probably both within 200 yards but unseen. I suspect they winded me and when I howled they decided to give eachother the warning. Gave me goose bumps for half an hour. Lions and bears- no thanks! CL

Cloverleaf
I remember the first time I heard Wolves at night in Alaska and the Lions at night in Africa, both got my attention.!

Europe":caytth7n said:
cloverleaf":caytth7n said:

Cloverleaf
I remember the first time I heard Wolves at night in Alaska and the Lions at night in Africa, both got my attention.!

I just want to be able to say this lol

Really is pretty cool. Wolfs don't often get to close to our lodge. We're to close to town. In September they must be close enough for the dogs to hear them. It's the only time my Shorthairs howl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love those pictures you guys, those big bears are just wonderful to see. Don I am glad to see "both" styles of repellent I would want to see you end up a chum.

I have been within feet of black bears off and on over the years, and never my the heart rate move up. The last two cougars did however, both were inside of 10 yards, which did bring up the adrenaline and heart rate. The first one showed no aggression other than teeth, a big smile and growl, as it moved away. The second let out a scream and took a step towards me. I never found its body because of the light rifle I was carrying, but I did deter it from further aggression

Back