Deer cartridges for varminting?

Went out for rockchucks with my son yesterday, and the little old 6mm Remington. He nailed the only chuck we saw, at about 150 yards. One shot, one chuck! :grin: Not an easy shot given the angle and the small amount of rockchuck exposed as a target, but he did a fine job. It's his "everything" rifle for now, varmints to mule deer. Am hoping to see more rockchucks as the weather warms a bit in the coming weeks.

485141.jpg

Tell him good job on the chuck!! Its been so friggin windy around my part of the desert lately, I havne't got out to shooting much...

Did happen to shoot a badger the other day though. Went out looking for a coyote. My buddy missd one standing at 326 yards with his 257 WM. About 1/2 later I saw a badger on the side of the road and he ran across and got into his hole. I waited a couple minutes for him to pop back out and sure enough she did. I put a 100g NBT out of my 25-06 into her at about 75 yards. I even found the bullet in the bank after it exited, it weighed 45 grains!! Pretty big ol female, farmer should be a little bit more happy.

I have shot a coyote with a 35 whelen, my dad routinely shoots the heads off grouse with his win 54 30-06( open sites) I don't know how he does it, but he does. I have never see him miss with that gun

I loaded some 110 gr vmax's in my 300wsm for plinking. fairly light load of h 380 and I get 3530 fps and sub half moa accuracy. It wouldn't be a good round to shoot all day because of the heat and the recoil lol!

Back