Defining the Model 77 Ruger Hawkeye.

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Here is a quote from someone on another board, his take on it .

the Ruger M77 is not a copy of the Winchester M70. It lacks the horrible cone breeching, the add on bolt guide, and has a stronger firing pin spring. I wish the M77 featured the original M70 trigger. The M77 if anything is a Model 98 Mauser that was cross bred with a Model 96 Mauser. It features the breeching of the 96 with the controlled round feed of the 98 and a stronger locking system as the left lug is not split to accomodate the ejector. :?

Very good summation of the aforementioned Ruger.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

It's one of the toughest guns out there too bad they are being largely replaced by the RAR. If I had to pick one gun that absolutely had to work it would be the M 77. There is a reason they are so popular with guides including the outfit I worked for. I have had 3 of them and they all have been accurate and trouble free. Don't have one now but would like to have one again when the budget allows.

I find that a factory Ruger just doesn't fit me right (doesn't shoulder well). I know it is likely my problem in how I shoot. I have a number of friends that have Ruger rifles and they enjoy them.
The Ruger is a working man's rifle tough & accurate (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I have pretty long arms and have found Rugers to have relatively short stocks for guys like me. That being said, they are a fine American-made gun!

Dale

Bought my first rifle when I was 17, it was a Ruger 77 in 30/06 shot a bunch of deer with that rifle with 165gr sierra bullets, it was a great rifle, well made, atleast back then anyways, heck pretty much all rifles were better back then too,

Lou (y)

After I had wore out the barrel on my 30-06 725 Remington I had it rebarreled in 257 Roberts. and was looking for something a little bigger so when I saw a Ruger 77 in 30-06 I bought it, Had some major stock problems the first time I hunted with it ( stock warpage ) and had it bedded after the season. It has been my work horse rifle every since.

I've had a few and would own another in a heartbeat. As the others described, they always worked well. My only real complaint is they left a lot of sharp edges, probably left from the casting. Stone those edges down and slicken up the raceways and they are damned awesome rifles.

Had a 300 Win Mag and a 308. Both of those were good shooting rifles and served me well. The mounting system is pretty danged stout as well.

Mine is the older style with the slide safety on the tang. I have a 1.5-5 VXIII Leupold setting on it that was made the same year as the rifle.

the Ruger Hawkeye all weathers appear to be being discontinued.

gander mountain has them at $550 with a regular price of $750.

I'm tempted but don't know what caliber and don't have a real draw to a stainless rifle, plus need to take advantage of my brother-in-law being a gunsmith so I'm not sure if there is a need to buy a new rifle for the action

I have an mk-ii ultra light in .204 ruger and a hawkeye in .243 win. Both are solid shooters and great rifles. The m77 is probably my favorite factory rifle. I hope to acquire a few more once funds allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were still guiding in Alaska, it would be hard for the $ to look past a Hawkeyes SS , when you leave your gun on the wing strut from Aug 1st till Nov 1st! I had a Sako .375 years ago ,but in today's world would most likely just drive a .375 Ruger..........
Wait; now that I review that ,what the heck do I need that for???? I already have a 35 WHELEN !!!!

I am a Ruger fan. My dad bought me a used M77 in 7mm RM when I was 15. That was over 40 years ago. I have never been without 1 for more than a couple of years. Right now I have a tang safety in .243 AI, a Mark II in 280 rem, A Hawkeye compact mag in .338 rcm, and a 77/22. I am trying to figure out how to acquire an Hawkeye predator in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I am also thinking about re-chambering the 280 to 280 AI, but I am concerned about the 22" barrel being to short to make it worth it.

D

Ds,
That is a very nice collection of guns, which one is your favorite?
E

Currently my only Ruger 77 is a .22-250 that I got when a hunting buddy passed away. It's like new, he didn't get the chance to use it as much as he should've. It's one of the newer Hawkeye models.

Andy was a true Ruger 77 man. His first rifle was a Mark II .30-06 he bought brand new from Bi-Mart back in the day for about $349.00. It was without a doubt his favorite rifle. Besides the .30-06 and .22-250 he owned a Hawkeye SS in .300 Win Mag which he used to kill several elk.

I wouldn't mind adding a 6.5 Creedmoor to the stable with the 26" barrel in blued steel and walnut in an M77 Hawkeye.

Dale

35 Whelan, the compact mag is the one I like to carry. It is nice in the brush, tough as nails, and has helped me collect my first two bull elk. I bought it a new scope recently. I picked up a Burris fullfield II 2x7 with the E1 reticle. I have not shot it yet with this scope...maybe tomorrow!

D

I own 4 M77 rifles. A tang 257 UL, a Mk2 257 UL, a Hawkeye 30-06 UL and a Hawkeye Predator Creedmoor. The UL's are the best feeling rifles I have ever owned. Ergonomically, everything about them works for me. The triggers on the 257's are OK. Probably 6 pounds with no creep or take-up. The 30-06 has a trigger that is perfect for me. Crisp, clean, no take up and I am guessing about 3 pounds. I am getting used to he Creedmoor trigger. It has a good bit of take-up. But then it breaks light and crisp. The Tang is new to me. I haven't shot it yet. The other ULs are 1.5-1.75" guns. They are bone stock. I am still getting the Creedmoor dialed in. I only have about 20 rounds through it. It did give me a .35 inch 3 shot group.

I love model 77s for hunting guns. It's hard to find fault with them. I tell you though, Ruger seems to be de-ephasizing them in favor of the Americans. Americans are building quite the reputation for being incredibly accurate. The average gun buyer who goes to the gun store will never be able to appreciate the M77 at twice the price of an American. I have a hunch that Ruger will keep a basic line-up in the Hawkeyes, keep some of the specialty Hawkeyes in steady production, then do some special runs in stainless synthetic, for example.

2 257 ULs and a Creedmoor predator? Ok, I am a little bit jealous!

I have a chance to acquire a Remington 760 BDL in 257 rob from an old family friend. He bought it new in the early 60's and has not fired a box of shells through it. It doesn't quite fit in to my Ruger collection, but I really think I should buy that gun.

We haven't come up with a price yet.

D

I just did the trigger on my UL 270, Hawkeye. Cut one turn off the spring, droped the wop from 5.5 to 2.5 ! Lol , I installed a Timney in my 243 Mark II and that is the answer! But darn expensive cure.......
D, better grab that 257! I think you will regret it if you dont............

Back