Did a little shooting yesterday

IdahoCTD

Handloader
Nov 4, 2004
Yesterday I finally made it out to shoot. It's been a while because I was sick with the flu the week before Xmas and spent 9 days in Canada over Xmas. I built a 6.5x47L in early December and finally got to shoot it. Unfortunately my eyes have started giving me fits in the last year and I couldn't get the 6.5x20 Leupold, that's on it, focused perfectly. I know it will shoot better and I'll try to get a Nightforce on it before I shoot it again. The 39grs of R-15 with 123 Amax load went .566" for 5 shots (2990fps) and the 40grs of 4350 load went .385" for 4 shots (I pulled one. This load was really mild at only 2780fps).

The next gun I shot was my 30-338 Norma Imp. It has a Nightforce 5.5x22 that was easier to get focused. I've been trying to form brass out of Lapua made 423 Dakota brass. It's been a trial and error thing with many errors but I finally got enough formed to get some rounds loaded up. I fireformed the cases with Bullseye and Cream of Wheat so I had to scrub the barrel prior to shooting. The case necks get deformed pretty good necking them down so I can't shoot a bullet in them to fireform. The one shot out of the group was the clean bore shot. The other 3 went in .188". The load was 90grs of R-33 with a 230 Berger with a velocity of 3044fps. This load is warm with Norma brass but the Lapua brass just flopped out like a really mild load and that is why I've been trying to figure out how to form the 423 Dakota brass. The next thing to do is rechamber another barrel to fireform brass so I don't have to gum up my good barrel all the time. BTW this gun is a Remington 700 action converted to single shot with a PTG one piece bolt (338 Lapua bolt face), Bartlein HV contour 30" barrel, in a wood 40X stock with a Nightforce 5.5x22x56 scope and a Jewell trigger.

Attachments

• 30-338norma imp90R33.jpg
    30-338norma imp90R33.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 6.5x47L 4350.jpg
    6.5x47L 4350.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 293
  • 6.5x47L with R15.jpg
    6.5x47L with R15.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 293
I need to learn from you.
Are you adopting? :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Your eyes may be giving you fits, but you manage to remember when to squeeze. You sure you weren't shooting by Braille? Those aren't powder burns around each hole are they? :mrgreen:

I might try a smaller dot or a open ring to shoot at with the Leupold. I was having a hard time getting a real defined crosshair in contrast to the dot and it effected the groups. I might also try fiddling with the focus ring some more too. It was 16 degrees out and I was trying to hurry a bit. It would just be easier to put the Nightforce I have in the safe on it. An accurate 6.5x47L should shoot 5 shots in the .2's to .3's all the time IMO.

Vince,

I've been building my own rifles for 22+ years now and have figured out how to make them shoot pretty good. I have a hard time shooting a factory gun anymore. If my big guns don't shoot 3 shots under 1/2" I don't keep them and the smaller calibers need to do that for 5 shots. I tend to run heavier barrels because they are more consistently accurate IMO. I rarely run a contour under a Sendero/Rem. Varminter. They are more of a PITA to pack but I'm still in good enough shape to deal with them.

Thanks Idaho.
I guess that means you aren't going to adopt me huh?
OK, back to the orphanage. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back